Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danindenver
Reel Rookie

Captions keep turning off in main settings

I have the same problem.

After reading all of the posts, I'm not sure that it is clear what the problem is.

I set my captions to ALWAYS ON.  Then I turn the TV off, wait a few seconds, then on again.

I go to the accessibility settings and captions are set to OFF.  They should be ALWAYS ON.

I mean, isn't that what ALWAYS ON means?  They are always on, whenever I go to watch something.   This used to work.  I've had my TCL Roku TV since November 2021.  It is now 2024 and it has ceased to operate as expected. 

STEPS:  1. I have followed the instructions to restart, which seems the same as turning it off and on: no help.   2. i unplugged the unit for 5 minutes: no help.  3. I did a factory reset of the sound and picture settings: no help.   Next, I guess I will try a complete factory reset.

Very frustrating.  I don't care, but my spouse needs this.

Why don't you just put a CC button on the remote?     And remove the Disney button.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Captions keep turning off in main settings

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @danindenver!

Firstly, our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming and we'd be more than happy to be of assistance here.

Before proceeding, please confirm if this issue is occurring on a particular channel? If so, kindly specify. Also, please be informed that the closed captioning settings available on your Roku streaming device have no effect on the content from these service providers.

For further info, kindly visit our Support article here: How to enable closed captioning

We'll anticipate your response so you can utilize the closed captioning feature effectively.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
danindenver
Reel Rookie

First, my experience, so far, with the captions problem is only with the CHOSEN app.

Second, let me be clear that the problem is that the captions turn off after a power cycle.
So, my question is,  Should the captions setting be persistent through a power cycle?
Does that make sense?

Thanks,
danindenver
0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @danindenver,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your problem with keeping the subtitles on every time you restart your Roku TV. We would like to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Kindly provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  3. Tracker ID. When you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID.

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Elmore19

I'm having the same problem. It's very frustrating. I have to go into settings and turn closed caption every time I turn the TV back on. It's not confined to one app, including the ROKU stations, which I watch often. Any help is appreciated. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Elmore19,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please be aware that make sure the closed captions are turned on on your Roku device. We recommend making sure that the channel itself has the settings set to be toggled on, as each channel may have its own settings.

For detailed information, you can visit our Support article here: How to enable closed captioning

If the issue persists, kindly provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  3. Tracker ID. When you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID.

We look forward to hearing your response and receiving your device details.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.