Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balor98

Wrong location on tv please help

My TCL ROKU TV has decided I’m a few hundred miles away in a different state. My zip code is set to mine and has been refreshed.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
cindy0457
Reel Rookie

Re: Wrong location on tv please help

If you are using a fixed wireless such as T-Mobile or Verizon, you just have to get used to it. My tv puts me in South Florida, Texas, and New Orleans.  It has something to do with the way the data is collected in one area, then actually processed in another in microseconds.   Other than the unusual commercials, it's not a problem. It's actually improved my Spanish a little.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @balor98,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for reaching out to us for further assistance regarding your zip code. We'd be more than happy to help you out with this. You can change it on your preferred zip code by navigating to your Home screen. Scroll and select Settings, then go to System and choose ZIP Code

If there's anything else we can be of assistance with, please don't hesitate to let us know and we'd be more than willing to help and take immediate action as we are committed to finding a solution to your concerns.

All the best,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Natgk
Reel Rookie

Sorry putting in your zip code does not fix the issue.

you can cha ge the zip code, reboot Roku, reboot router. And STILL have the same issue of the wrong local area channels being displayed.  ( and yes even checked for latest Roku version).

THis IS a KNOWN ISSUE that has been going on for a long time now.

NO PERMANENT SOLUTION YET PROVIDED FROM ROKU ( should be a software fix by now!)

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Natgk,

Kindly accept our warmest welcome here in the Roku Community!

Regarding your concern, channels and content use the location indicated by the IP number assigned to you by your internet service provider to determine your location. If your ISP (internet service provider) assigns or changes your IP number to one of its servers located in a different area, this would indicate that the local stations you're getting are from the location assigned to your ISP's server.

For more information to identify your IP address, you can utilize this website at this link here to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates where you're located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, contact your internet provider and inquire further to be reassigned to an IP in your area.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PatriciaK

I believe that you are correct. The problem is with the Roku not having a GPS so the actual location of the Roku is not accurate, throwing off access to local programing and this is a problem that hopefully is being worked on by Roku so that the problem can be solved, but it doesn't sound like it. BOO!

0 Kudos
Natgk
Reel Rookie

Here is the issue:

ip is an ILLINOIS IP.

I am between major local channels of Chicago and Milwaukee.

local abc shows Milwaukee news.

nbc show Chicago news

cbs kind of shows both ( cbs is weird to begin with on Roku, so lately I’ve been able to choose where to watch the morning news- but the first choice is out of Milwaukee currently).

yes it does depend on where the up is coming from but THEN THE QUESTION BECOME WHT IS THE PURPOSE OF SETTING UP YOUR 

ZIP CODE IN a the settings tab if ROKU IGNORES IT. ( or you billing address as some answers suggest …. Which I don’t believe Roku has this intelligent programming in their system either)

can you answer WHAT The roku system uses the ZIP CODE yin the settings for?