Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TVCana
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku TV Screen Won't Turn On

Jump to solution

Did you try reset?

If not, it's better to buy a new TV! I just bought a Sony TV. This is not a 4K but it's better than Sharp one.

I am so shocked. I payed 4 years warranty this time.

0 Kudos
Nascar2555
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I appreciate all of the help from users that have found the led bar problem.  Luckily I bought the extended warranty with my Hisense 58" roku. 

Do research before making an extended warranty claim. My tv receipt was $275 before taxes and extra warranty. But I swung by my local Walmart and seen the tv is now $399.  8 knew it was on sale when I got it.   I expected the extended warranty to send me a new one. No they offered me cash. First the rep said $258... Then I said it cost more than that and she upped the price to match the $278. 

The rep I spoke to messed up though. Said they were only authorized to pay "Current Replacement Cost".  And that gave me leverage. I told them that current replacement cost is $399. And if I'm supposed to get that, I won't accept $278... I demanded to speak to a manager and he immediately said I hate when my reps say that, because it's only supposed to pay out up to what you paid for the TV.  And I said I understand that but it was not what I was told. And he was a good manager and said he knows and he offered me an extra $100 to pay for towards the new TV. So I got $378. 

My warranty paid for itself and I went from 58" to 65" ONN brand tv.  It may be a cheap tv, and it did cost me near $200 more with the extra warranty. I feel confident the 4 hear warranty will pay for itself if and when this tv breaks. 

I don't buy warranty often. But Walmarts tv warranty is well worth the extra on cheap tvs like this. 

0 Kudos
TVCana
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Oh, that's good! I usually don't pay warranty but this time I payed in case.

I am happy with my Sony TV. Technology keep developing it. So, I hope Roku TV will get better soon!

I am so tired of doing lots of research and call customer service and explain many times and transfering multiple times...

Time is Money,

Enjoy your new TV!

0 Kudos
Nascar2555
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My guess is LED TV's just have a ways to go. They are new technology.  I don't blame Roku for LED going bad. 

I also noticed something on my new TV.  I have my tv on a battery backup that measures voltage amps used.  Electric went out is why I noticed but bright was was on high and I noticed it was draining the battery quick. Then I went and turned the brightness on low and cut the battery drain in half.  Tv darkness is the setting on Darker vs was Brighter. 

Long story short cutting that down to Darker made little difference in viewing and decreases power consumption. And I'm. Betting extending the life of my tv. It's just a theory but could be reason our LED boards burned out after a year. Especially with mine being turned on an average of 12 hours a day. 

TVCana
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah, since started work from home, I watch TV over 12 hours a day!!!

I cannot live without TV now. Yeah, I won't blame Roku TV. My case is a hardware...I don't know.

Enjoy your TV! but I actually liked Roku app channels. 

carlajhill
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Exact same thing happened to me... Sharp Roku 58. I had my TV for less than 2 yrs and it stopped powering on. Been sitting in my living room collecting dust. I've bought 2 TVs from Best Buy now that stopped working a little after 1 yr of ownership. The 1st was Best Buy's brand, you think they would at least look at it. I decided to spend more on the Sharp. Was a pretty good TV but so frustrating that TVs aren't covered for at least the first 2 yrs. I thought surely it wont happen again. Best Buy could care less. I didn't buy an extended warranty because I got the TV on Sale and thought Sharp was a good brand. Very frustrating to buy 2 TVs in 3 yrs and 1 went to the dumpster, idk what to do with this one. Not sure if it's worth repair costs. 

TVCana
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I asked BestBuy, they said if you ask someone come to your place. It cost around $100 minimum.

So, I decided to give up Sharp Roku TV. I am going to throw it away.

If you are good as fix this, check CaseousCalc's post. He/she bough a tool from amazon and need to open the back of the TV. I think this problem is only LED. 

Try this. the tool is only $25. I didn't try it because I don't want to spend my time to fix it.

If you know someone who is good as tech, ask them. I think it's easy for them.

Good Luck.

I bought a SONY tv that is lower spec than Sharp Roku TV, but I like it but I spent more money than Roku TV !

AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi carlajhill,
Sorry that you, too, have been a victim of a garbage bound TV. I do believe that after a year of searching, I have pinpointed the problem. It is one or more of the LED strips in the these TVs. And I took the time to find a video on how to change out the LEDs but let me tell you, IT IS A ROYAL PAIN TO FIX!

There are several tools that one needs to even access the LEDs, including (but not limited to) a large, dust-free area to do the work, suction cups for separating the very thin screens in order to get to the LEDs, and then you need the new LEDs themselves. Though all of the tools and LEDs can be bought, IT IS A VERY LABOR INTENSIVE PROJECT because the LEDs are buried deep within the televisions sandwiched between very thin, flimsy screens, accessible only from the back to the front.

First are the many screws, then removal of the boards, then removal of the bezel around the TV, then the lifting of the back screen with the suction cups (oils from your fingers and dust can have a negative effect on these screens). Only THEN do you reach the LED's which are BOTH GLUED AND SNAPPED IN. If you don't want to spend the money to replace all of the LED strips, you must check each strip to find the ones that are causing the problem, remove them and put in the new ones. And if you choose to replace only the ones that have gone out, you take the chance that others will go out in short order, resulting in having to do this tedious process all over again. So all in all, what it comes down to is that by the time you buy everything you need to change out all of the LEDs, you are quickly reaching the cost of a new television. Factor in what your time is worth, and you very likely rise up and over that cost.

By the time I got halfway through the video, it was apparent to me that my big screen Sharp/Roku was junk. If you have a television service center near where you live, you might give them a call and ask if they would be interested in purchasing your old one for parts. The screen, boards and other pieces may bring you a few bucks. Keep in mind that if you purchase a television with a credit card, some cards have extended warranties for electronics as a perk. Also, many outlets offer an extended warranty plan for a modest $45 fee that covers the cost of repair or replacement for 3 years.

AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Nascar2555
I think you are correct. and people should heed your advice.

And I took the time to find a video on how to change out the LEDs and I have to say, IT IS A ROYAL PAIN TO FIX!

There are several tools that one needs to even access the LEDs, including (but not limited to) a large, dust-free area to do the work, suction cups for separating the very thin screens in order to get to the LEDs, and then you need the new LEDs themselves. Though all of the tools and LEDs can be bought, IT IS A VERY LABOR INTENSIVE PROJECT because the LEDs are buried deep within the televisions sandwiched between very thin, flimsy screens, accessible only from the back to the front.

First are the many screws, then removal of the boards, then removal of the bezel around the TV, then the lifting of the back screen with the suction cups (oils from your fingers and dust can have a negative effect on these screens). Only THEN do you reach the LED's which are BOTH GLUED AND SNAPPED IN. If you don't want to spend the money to replace all of the LED strips, you must check each strip to find the ones that are causing the problem, remove them and put in the new ones. And if you choose to replace only the ones that have gone out, you take the chance that others will go out in short order, resulting in having to do this tedious process all over again. So all in all, what it comes down to is that by the time you buy everything you need to change out all of the LEDs, you are quickly reaching the cost of a new television. Factor in what your time is worth, and you very likely rise up and over that cost.

By the time I got halfway through the video, it was apparent to me that my big screen Sharp/Roku was junk. If you have a television service center near where you live, you might give them a call and ask if they would be interested in purchasing your old one for parts. The screen, boards and other pieces may bring you a few bucks. Keep in mind that if you purchase a television with a credit card, some cards have extended warranties for electronics as a perk. Also, many outlets offer an extended warranty plan for a modest $45 fee that covers the cost of repair or replacement for 3 years.

0 Kudos
AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi TVCana
I agree that trying to fix a flat screen television is not for the faint of heart. Not only are special tools necessary, you need a pretty big dust-free environment to do it in. If you have a television service shop near you, you may want to give them a call and see if they will give you a few bucks for your broken one. Otherwise, it is pretty much an oversized paper weight at this point.

0 Kudos