Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beatty87
Reel Rookie

Why does my Roku TV keep losing sound?

Mines losing sound too, does anyone know if adding a sound bar or some type of external speaker would fix it. Until I found this thread I really just thought my speakers were going out. Mines a TCL Roku tv I have 3 of them and only 1 keeps doing this but it also recently started

18 REPLIES 18
MERSD
Reel Rookie

Re: Why does my Roku TV keep losing sound?

Happens with my Roku with recorded content (YouTube TV) . It plays fine but if I pause for an extended period of time (over 10 minutes) it loses audio (on all channels) takes a restart to fix it. Brand new Roku Ultra…actually bought it hoping it would fix this problem. 

Doesn’t look like Roku is investing any $$ to improve the baseline.

RMG
Reel Rookie

Why does my Roku device keep losing or distorting sound?

It's amazing to me that a $4 billion company doesn't know how to trouble shoot this issue, nor does it know how to correct the code. This translates to me as "we really do not care enough," six words that could stand for Roku, or six in Japanese. You would think that billionaire Anthony Wood would care because he is a double-E major from Texas A&M. I suspect that the build of the device and the coding is done by the lowest bid in a foreign country, because there is little money in the device. The money is in the streaming service.

MartyPA
Streaming Star

That's exactly what happens with two of my roku Ultras (2020 which is still the latest model).  The sound is fine until I pause it for an extended period, then the sound is gone.  I actually unplug the Rokus from the power source and then the sound is okay again.

The issue is definitely the Rokus because the TVs they're connected to are different makers.

Mharrsn84

How do you do a system restart?

0 Kudos
Mixerbobc
Reel Rookie

I fought this problem for a year. Then when they updated to 15.5 I thought it would be fixed……NOPE.  This restart every other time drove my wife crazy (me too), so I trashed my ultras and bought the 4K streaming stick. Absolutely no problems!!  Works every time with sound.  Sad Roku could never figure out and fix the problem.  Trash yours and go to streaming stick.  Your life will be happy again. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Mharrsn84

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ML6

That worked for me too. Now it happens more and more frequently. Has that happened for you? Seems like I need something else other than daily frequent restarts.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ML6,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to look closely to see how we can help get you up and running.
Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. What Roku model device are you using?
  2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel
  4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

We have 4 roku ultras.  2 from 2019 and 2 from 2020 (the latest model).

We never have a problem with the 2 from 2019, it's the 2020 models that lose sound after they've been paused, and it's happening more and more frequently, and it's annoying.  We have to reboot the roku, then go back to YouTube TV, go back to the app we were watching, and then fast forward to where we left off.

I'd trash them, but we have the ultras simply because we can hard wire them.  I'm going to see if there's a way to hard wire firesticks or some other streaming devices.  I certainly won't change a newer model of the ultras if and when they're released.

EDIT:  is anyone having the same problem with the Ultra LT?

0 Kudos