Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skiddoo
Reel Rookie

Why do I have to allow access to my USB files?

In the past I was able to choose to NOT allow apps to access my USB drive, so saying they always had access is BS, or Roku was lying about my personal security. Now when I choose 'no', I am kicked back to the access menu, so the only way I am allowed to use the USB port is to allow access. What has changed, or has Roku always been lying to me?

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why do I have to allow access to my USB files?

The only thing that has changed is the message.  All apps have always had access to your USB drive.  The message is basically trying to tell you it's an all or nothing thing - you either allow all apps (as it's always been) or no apps.  Apps don't run in the background, so only the active app can access the USB port.  I'm not sure what you mean by, "In the past I was able to choose to NOT allow apps to access my USB drive".  That's simply not true.  There's never been a setting that had anything to do with USB access other than what app to launch when you insert something.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Just a couple months ago you COULD choose NOT to allow other channels to have access. I don't know why the would NEED access, but the was an option to allow or not allow. But lately, my USB will not play UNLESS I ALLOW access. So it is strange. Sometimes there are private files other than just a video, and it bothers me.

0 Kudos

Not actually a "Newbie" since I have been using Roku since it was first available. Just my first time on this post. 🙂

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @skiddoo and @NotThatIntoAI,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We understand your concern regarding this feature. We'd be glad to assist, but we'll need a few more details.

1. When did the issue start?
  2. What specific Roku TV is affected by this issue?
  3. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Please keep us updated with these details.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
skiddoo
Reel Rookie

I've been thinking about your reply, renojim, especially the comment, "Apps don't run in the background, so only the active app can access the USB port."  A few questions:

1) Exactly what apps can be active on my Roku TV?  I don't have the capability of putting an app on the device, so who does? 

2) Does Roku run apps that may access the information on my USB drive, and if so, why? 

3) Does Roku allow streaming services to run apps on my Roku TV, which may access the information on my USB drive, and if so, why?

4) Aren't we talking about a serious security flaw in the Roku system?  Why doesn't Roku think protecting my personal data is of importance?  A non-urgent warning of a possible data breach is hardly a proactive security procedure.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@skiddoo, Roku initially referred to apps as "Channels".  This was done solely for marketing purposes so they could confuse cable customers with ridiculous statements like, "Roku offers hundreds of free channels".  They were then and always have been what anyone else would refer to as an application (or app).  They now have a problem with the term "channel" since many Channels apps now have channels within them.  What to call them?  Sub-channels?  You'll see Roku's own documentation sometimes using the term "channel" and sometimes "app".  What is now called "Streaming Store" in the Home Screen menu has been renamed many times because Roku doesn't know what to call it anymore.  They should just call it what it is - App Store.

I hope that explanation clears up most of the confusion.  I used to use "channel/app" in my responses, but I've switched to just calling them what they are - apps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.