Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogueThunder
Reel Rookie

TV volume going to zero on its own

Jump to solution

Yesterday (June 15,2024) volume was fine. Turned on my 50” Sharp Roku TV (via Apple TV remote) to stream content via my (2 month old) Apple TV box. The volume on the TV automatically decreases to zero/mute. Every attempt to raise volume via native TV remote, Apple Remote and Roku iPhone app could not get volume past two, before it went back to zero. 
I noticed that even when I was not touching the remotes/app, the LED on TV was flashing like crazy. Even LED on attached onn. Roku Smart Soundbar  was flashing. 

After I: 1) replaced the batteries in Roku remote; 2) Factor reset TV; 3) Unplugged ALL components for 10 mins, the issue was still occurring. 

After reading a post from this forum, it suggested that the AppleTV (remote) was the culprit. So, I put Apple TV remote in microwave (to block any signals), which turns out was overkill, I regained control over volume. To confirm, I removed Apple Remote from microwave and began slowly walking towards the TV, careful not to touch any buttons. Once I got within about 25’, the volume started automatically dropping to zero. 
Battery level was 37%, so I charged it (in another room), in case a more charged battery would resolve the issue. Next morning, with battery near 100%, the same issue started when I got within 25’. 

My interim fix is to put Apple Remote in a metal sauce pan, until I figure out a better method to block signal, and further research what changed in the 3 hrs I was away. 
(Note: I presume it’s a software update by Sharp/Roku, or Apple. The Roku TV version is a MAJOR release: 13.0.0 Build 24062),  the likely culprit)

image.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RogueThunder
Reel Rookie

Re: TV volume going to zero on its own

Jump to solution

Fixed my issue…

Root cause was Apple Remote.  Physical buttons were fine.  Seems to be some sort of glitch, and the Apple support instructions to “restart” the remote resolve it:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/108769#:~:text=Restart%20your%20Siri%20Remote%20or,Release%20the%20b....

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
I suspect the volume button on the Apple remote is stuck.
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RogueThunder
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Fixed my issue…

Root cause was Apple Remote.  Physical buttons were fine.  Seems to be some sort of glitch, and the Apple support instructions to “restart” the remote resolve it:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/108769#:~:text=Restart%20your%20Siri%20Remote%20or,Release%20the%20b....

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.