Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mkalman115

Re: TCL Roku TV loses wifi connection and then can't find any wifi networks

Jump to solution

I have the same issue on my TCL Roku TV. And a friend has RHI’s problem too. I have to reconnect to WiFi more than half the time I turn the set on. 

0 Kudos
AtoZ
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just got a 75S535 and hmm, update software, No go, wifi work fine, but well have no Roku  apps etc, I like new software follow all steps todo manual update and it worked can get all Roku channels now  but..... after update wifi just picking up other wifi AP. so yes TCL does hardware but software control the hardware so in my opinion software messed this up. Grrr

0 Kudos
AtoZ
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Missed some, after update.....

It finds some routers depending on signal, the scan routine is messed up in software... ?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If the Roku is seeing other routers but not your own, the first thing to check is your WiFi radio settings. First, make sure the 2.4 GHz radio is turned on. Not all Roku devices support 5 GHz. The next thing to check is the channel being used. On 2.4 GHz, the channels run from 1 to 14. However, Roku devices only work on channels 1 through 11. On 5 GHz, Roku devices do not support the DFS channels, so the channel needs to be below 49 or above 148. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
deilenberger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ditto. TV is about 30 months old. 55R617. Same sort of symptoms making me think the RF/WiFi antenna is having problems. It doesn't recognize a RF remote - can't pair with it. It can't log into my network.  I managed to get into the TV menus using an IR remote that I bought off Amazon.

A ROKU stick plugged into the TV works just fine - connects to my network, so it sure isn't signal strength that's the issue.

Someone mentioned opening up the tv and finding a loose ground screw on the RF antenna. Anyone else done this?  I'd be tempted except the 55" isn't trivial to honk around and open up..   if someone besides the first poster found this to be the issue, then I'll give it a shot.

0 Kudos
deilenberger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's rather sad - but that's been tried hundreds of times by the people who are experiencing this problem and it is NOT THE ANSWER.

deilenberger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You said:  A little nudge on the outside where the lan cable plugs in might push the screw in a little bit and help the TV stay connected as a result.

Have you actually experienced this working? Are you certain that's where the WiFi card is located?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I recall a past issue with TCL TVs where there was a manufacturing defect that had a loose ground connection on the wireless radio inside the TV. Past users were able to remove the back of the TV and solder the connection tightly to the case. Sounds like it's still an issue with TCL. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bryf
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well, after years of my Roku TCL losing wifi connection, before throwing out the TV, decided to purchase a Roku 4K Streaming Stick for $39. Plugged into the HDMI ARC, programed the TV to open with that input, and THAT FIXED IT! 

deilenberger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I guess I should update the resolution I found to this problem.

In my case - the WiFi board (tiny thing..) went bad. It basically just stopped working.  I did a google on the part# and came up with replacement boards from several sources. I found one source selling a complete kit of ALL the boards in my TCL for around $70. I bought the kit, and one additional WiFi board (about $11).   Sure enough the new WiFi board fixed the issue.

About 6 months after this fix - the power supply board went bad. The spare board from the kit I bought fixed it. I then looked and found just the power supply board used for around $30, so I bought one and "restocked" my kit. 

All the "used" boards I found on the web appeared brand new and were shipped quickly packed well with static-proof bags used to protect each board. I'm guessing these may have come out of TVs where the screen got cracked which basically renders the TV worthless except for use as a parts source.  Just a guess on my part, based on the condition of the boards (looked brand new).

I then also ended up powering the TCL through a surge protector.  That seems to have ended the board failures, at least for the past 18 months or so.