Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TCL Roku TV loses wifi connection and then can't find any wifi networks

Jump to solution
I am also getting this on (2) TCL Roku TVs: a 49S305 and a 43S305.  We have a third Roku device, an Ultra, connected to a Panasonic TV and it has not exhibited this behavior (but we don't use it nearly as much as the other two TVs, not sure if that's something to consider).  It's been happening for a few months now, usually at least once per night recently.  My wireless is working perfectly but these TVs seem to just lose their wireless connection at random.

And when I say "lose", I don't mean they simply drop the connection.  I mean they act as if they have no wireless capability and cannot find any wireless networks.  I mostly use the Roku app on my phone to control the TVs since my young kids like to run off with the Roku remotes, so when this happens I have to either totally pull the power plug or dig up the real remote and turn the TV off and back on again before it reconnects to the wireless.

I grabbed a photo you can see here.  Ironically this photo was taken the only time it ever re-connected (after about 20-30 seconds) when this has happened.  All other times, even if we leave it sitting for a few minutes, have required a full reboot.

As best I can tell all our systems are running the most recent version, or at least a very recent version.  I've upgraded to the latest sequential software version a few times in a row over the past several months and it hasn't helped.
hwci
Visitor

Jump to solution
I have been experiencing the same Wifi disconnection issues for several months on my TCL 43S405. I am on software version 8.2.0 build 4170-30. A TCL support representative says the latest build I should be on is build 4174. Manually checking for software updates results in an all-software-up-to-date message without updating t 4174. Is anyone else able to update to 4174 or still experiencing issues *after* updating to 4174?
0 Kudos
stu1965
Visitor

Jump to solution
Loses the wireless connection every day.

TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model)
Purchased March 18th, on Amazon. 
I have the latest version (9.0.0, build 4151)  
I have no other devices on my network that lose their connection. 
Resetting the TV on its own does not re-acquire connection
Resetting the TV AND the router will allow for re-connection, however this only lasts a few hours. once TV is turned off, and back on, connection is lost
HARD reset of TV did not resolve either. 

Any thoughts, before I call technical support / return the tv ? 
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
"stu1965" wrote:
Loses the wireless connection every day.

TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model)

Purchased March 18th, on Amazon.

I have the latest version (9.0.0, build 4151)

I have no other devices on my network that lose their connection.

Resetting the TV on its own does not re-acquire connection

Resetting the TV AND the router will allow for re-connection, however this only lasts a few hours. once TV is turned off, and back on, connection is lost

HARD reset of TV did not resolve either.

Any thoughts, before I call technical support / return the tv ?

It’s as though there is heavy traffic or interference on that WiFi channel. That may or may not be on your network itself, but on the channel your network is using.

Try a different WiFi channel.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
stu1965
Visitor

Jump to solution
"DBDukes" wrote:

It’s as though there is heavy traffic or interference on that WiFi channel. That may or may not be on your network itself, but on the channel your network is using.

hmmm. its using channel 2. I can change that on my router. Now using channel 11. 
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
"stu1965" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:

hmmm. its using channel 2. I can change that on my router. Now using channel 11. 

Huh. Channel 2 is uncommon. Most routers default to 6, 11, or 1, as they don’t overlap each other. 2 overlaps greatly with 1, and slightly with 6. Of course there’s nothing wrong with any of the other channels between 1-11. In fact, depending on where the traffic is, it may be advisable to use one of those. It’s just uncommon.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
stu1965
Visitor

Jump to solution
"DBDukes" wrote:
"stu1965" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:

Huh. Channel 2 is uncommon. Most routers default to 6, 11, or 1, as they don’t overlap each other. 2 overlaps greatly with 1, and slightly with 6. Of course there’s nothing wrong with any of the other channels between 1-11. In fact, depending on where the traffic is, it may be advisable to use one of those. It’s just uncommon.

My original AP was an apple. I picked up a new netgear, and was testing that when i saw chan 2. router channels were set to 'auto'. now on 11, and while when I first turn the tv on, the wireless is disconnected, it re-connects on its own within a minute. So, since my last post, this is so far....dare i say....resolved. prob just jinxed myself, lol. 
hwci
Visitor

Jump to solution
"hwci" wrote:
I have been experiencing the same Wifi disconnection issues for several months on my TCL 43S405. I am on software version 8.2.0 build 4170-30. A TCL support representative says the latest build I should be on is build 4174. Manually checking for software updates results in an all-software-up-to-date message without updating t 4174. Is anyone else able to update to 4174 or still experiencing issues *after* updating to 4174?

Update: After going back and forth with TCL support, they agreed to take the TV in for repair. Along with a firmware update to 9.0.0, support said that the main board and wireless card were replaced. So far, after a week back in service, the wireless connection seem stable.
0 Kudos
joenovak
Visitor

Jump to solution
I have the same problem with my 32S301-W version 9.0.0. build 4148-8
Most of the time my MAC address is 0 Zeroed Out
After a few factory resets the TV was able to "see" the router again. Then a day later same thing.
Very frustrating as I have 2 other TCL in the house on the same network without issues.
Unfortunately I brought all 3 TV's to my retirement house in Costa Rica so I will have to lug this one back.

Where did you get your TCL support performed?
Thanks Joe
0 Kudos
hwci
Visitor

Jump to solution
"joenovak" wrote:
I have the same problem with my 32S301-W version 9.0.0. build 4148-8
Most of the time my MAC address is 0 Zeroed Out
After a few factory resets the TV was able to "see" the router again. Then a day later same thing.
Very frustrating as I have 2 other TCL in the house on the same network without issues.
Unfortunately I brought all 3 TV's to my retirement house in Costa Rica so I will have to lug this one back.

Where did you get your TCL support performed?
Thanks Joe

They sent me a box with a pre-paid label to send to San Jose, CA.
0 Kudos