Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snakeberg

TCL 55" Roku TV screen is black but audio is still coming out

I was watching a show through my cable provider and my screen went blank. I was still able to hear what was happening, but could not see anything. I have looked up multiple ways to fix this like restarting, unplugging, and even using the button on the side to factory reset. Is there anything else I can do to fix this that does not involve opening my TV up? 

38 REPLIES 38
Karis8824

Re: TCL 55" Roku TV screen is black but audio is still coming out

Mine is doing the same thing. I've tried the reset but nothing has worked.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Snakeberg @Karis8824 

Thanks for the post.

Customers have reported that after unplugging the TV for 5-10 minutes then plugging it back in again, they were able to resolve the issue. Have you tried this method already?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have this problem.  I tried the reset method but it didn't help. I have read that LED backlight failure is common for TCL TVs that are relatively new. My TCL is just past warranty.  I will not purchase another TCL tv.

Exasperated
Reel Rookie

This is a common problem with TCL. Neither TCL nor Roku correct the problem. Would love to know if anyone has filed a class action suit against both companies?

JasonT
Reel Rookie

Mine is having the black screen problem every time I turn it on too. I have to press the hard reset button on the side. Then it shows up just bright enough to setup the TV in the dark. Once I go though the setup, then do a system restart in the menu it seems to work fine. This seems like it could be a software issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@JasonT 

Thanks for the information regarding the issue you are experiencing.

As stated in my previous post, customers have reported that after unplugging the TV for 5-10 minutes then plugging it back in again, they were able to resolve the issue. Have you tried this method already?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JasonT
Reel Rookie

No, the method I used works to bring picture back fine. The TV works. But I get black screen on the next startup. This is clearly a software issue with the Roku OS.

0 Kudos
Burrcool

TV Screen

I’ve had my Roku tv since 7/20. The screen now only plays sound, no picture only black and white bars. Any ideas how to resolve this?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV Screen

@Burrcool wrote:

I’ve had my Roku tv since 7/20. The screen now only plays sound, no picture only black and white bars. Any ideas how to resolve this?

Roku only supplies the operating system for a "Roku TV". This sounds like a hardware issue that needs to be referred to the manufacturer of the set.

Roku TV Manufacturer Support Contacts:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos