Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdeehere
Reel Rookie

Streambar Remote Red Button Will Not Power TV on/off (voice works)

I just bought a new Streambar and cannot figure out how to get the red power button on ROKU remote to turn on/off the TV along with the Streambar

TV is a basic Insignia NS-32E440A13 (not a "smart tv"). CEC settings on TV set as follows:
- Device Auto Power is set to On (turns off the connected devices when you turn off your TV)
- TV Auto Power is set to On (turns on your TV when you turn on the connected device)

1) Both TV and Streambar were shut off, power removed, then power reconnected. TV comes on, ROKU spash screen, then Streambar goes to Home screen. But, the Red Power button on ROKU remote will not turn off the TV or the Streambar.

2) A voice command of "system off" using Roku remote turns off the TV (cannot tell if Streambar is off though). Then, pressing any button (except red power button) on Roku remote will turn on TV, with Streambar having performed whatever function maps to the button that I pressed.
The Red Power button on ROKU remote still will not turn off the TV or the Streambar.

3) Thinking maybe that the red Power button on ROKU remote works with IR instead of WiFi, I went to Settings - Remotes&Devices - Remotes - VoiceRemote - SetUpRemoteForTVControl. When I tried to input "Insignia" as TV brand, it would not take it. I got "This entry is not recognized as a supported brand". I also tried to input "LG" and "Toshiba" and got the same message.

So...........how do I set up the Streambar so the red Power button on ROKU remote turns the system on and off?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
sdeehere
Reel Rookie

Re: Streambar Remote Red Button Will Not Power TV on/off (voice works)

I just spent half an hour on Support chat, walking through everything I already put into my post,  with no solution. We ended up at step#3, trying "Set Up Remote For TV Control" in the Settings menu.

No  matter what TV brand I enter (e.g. Insignia, Toshiba, LG) I get the same message: "This entry is not recognized as a supported brand". 

Any suggestion on how to get past this?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@sdeehere

Thanks for the post.

If you are already in touch with our Support team, we would recommend continuing to work with them as they would best be able to assist you moving forward with your issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Knarf

I have same problem.  Everything seems to work except the red button will not turn the tv off.

Do you have a solution, or simply a bad button?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@Knarf 

Did you try the following?

settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in USE> program tv> follow prompts

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Go into settings/remotes & devices/remotes/voice remote/setup remote for tv control/

then select CEC setup

and follow instructions.

worked for me…

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.