Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zqmjadlzfltqdnp
Binge Watcher

Roku wants access to my USB

Roku doesn't need access to MY USB - It's MY DATA.  I'm tired of this BS.  I'm sure you had access before, but now that you admit it I'll never buy another Roku TV

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Roku wants access to my USB

I agree 100%.  They could at least tell us which app are wanting access to our private USB, so we can remove them.  This is a low blow Roku, you may never recover from this intrusion.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @zqmjadlzfltqdnp @HatchetJack.

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We'd be more than willing to look closer into your concern but will need further details.

• Would you mind letting us know what type/model is your USB?
  • Are there any error messages regarding this matter?
  • Kindly provide us with any indication that Roku wants to access your USB.

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to find you the best resolution possible.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
zqmjadlzfltqdnp
Binge Watcher

A warm welcome would be - don't steal my data 🙂

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@zqmjadlzfltqdnpand @HatchetJack , absolutely nothing has changed.  Any and all apps have always had access to your USB drive.  Roku is just making that clear after all these years.  It's an all or nothing setting, although I don't know what the purpose would be to connect a USB drive and then choose "Deny".

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bryank59
Streaming Star

I brought this up the same topic a few days ago here....
https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Allow-Access-to-External-Media-Prompt-pic/m-p/930705#M4107...

It's just the Roku Media Player wanting access.
If you select "do not allow access" you can't view your hard drive.
I had to unplug the power on the drive and replug it back in to get it to work again.
So always choose "allow".

The prompt never came up when I first started using Roku and their media player.
I'd just go to the media player and play a movie or show from my hard drive.

Then, about a month ago, a prompt started showing up asking me to allow it to access the hard drive.
I was like you in the beginning ....I don't want anyone/app accessing my HD!!!
Then I started running tests and it's just the media player wanting the access, no other apps.
The prompt doesn't show up every time though ...at least not for me.

It does show up on the 2 TV's I have hard drives hooked to ...2 different brands TCL & Phillips

IMG_20231216_091649.jpg

I'm still wanting to know why it pops up at all when it didn't used too.

Another problem with it is....
The prompt will pop up on the Home screen and when I click on "Allow" it takes me right into the media player even though I never selected the player ...?? Annoying!!
Like the pervious problem it doesn't do it every time.
Some times I'll click on "Allow" and the prompt will just go away and leave me on the Home screen.

0 Kudos
renojim

@bryank59, I don't have a Roku TV that I can test it on right now, but on my Ultra there's an "Auto-launch" setting under Settings->System->USB media.  If you have it, try setting it to "Off".

0 Kudos
bryank59
Streaming Star

You're kind of missing what I'm getting at here.

I don't want to shut it off.
I want to be able to access my attached hard drive whenever I want with no prompt popping up at all.
Like I used to do, up until a month or so ago.

That prompt NEVER used to pop up at all.
It doesn't pop up when I want to use the media player ...it pops up when my Roku TV is powered up.
In the past ....Whenever I wanted to view something on my hard drive I'd just go to the Media Player and play my the files on my hard drive.
Why has that changed???

Another problem ....when this prompt first started showing up I would click "allow" and the prompt would simply disappear.
NOW ....when I click on "allow" it takes me straight into the media player when I never even chose that option/app ....???

0 Kudos
renojim

@bryank59, did you even check the setting I pointed out?  Are you saying that it's not set to auto-launch RMP?

0 Kudos
zqmjadlzfltqdnp
Binge Watcher

And now you're bricking Roku TV's unless people agree to the Dispute Resolution Terms? WTF is going on

0 Kudos