Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laszlo79

Roku tv and device models

Hi All,

When I check analytics results on our apps I see 7000X, 8000X, C000X model names. I know these are all related to Roku TVs.

How do I know which TV manufacturer devices are these? I would like to buy new test devices, but I can choose only a few. So need to narrow down which are the most popular ones. 

Thx

4 REPLIES 4
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Roku tv and device models

@Laszlo79 , that's been asked more than once in the past related to Airplay. (See especially this post). 

Undoubtedly, someone at Roku knows which TCL, Sharp, Onn, et. al. models are Roku model 7000, 8000, etc. But, they don't care about the customer.

That's the common theme with Roku. Customers want to buy a Roku tv. They want Airplay. They ask which tvs have Airplay. And, Roku gives the answer they're NOT looking for. Then ignores their continued questions because that's not what Roku's looking for.

It's really amazing. Roku wanted to be the Android of TVs. Today, Android is on tvs. Android doesn't have it's own firewalled version of TV models to talk about to everyone's exclusion. It's like Roku is in denial about its chances of being what now exists.

Every interaction I have with Roku is more revealing. Everything says "we don't care about customers." This topic is a perfect example. They'll talk about model numbers that mean nothing to anyone. It's like Roku's own internal language matters more than the customer.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Laszlo79

Thank you, I will read those topics. I don't need for Airplay , but yeah, I understand what you wrote.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

It sounds like you might carry more clout with Roku than customers. I.e., it sounds like you develop something. Maybe contact someone in the developer program.

It's obvious the information exists. There must be a database of Roku internal model # to tv-maker model #. It's just a matter of finding someone who can run a query to get the cross-reference. Customer Service seems more like a firewall to protect the insiders from customers. So, you may be pursuing the topic in the wrong place. (I'd suggest your developing for the wrong smart tv platform. But, time will tell.).

Anyway, your quandry is what customers have expressed too. Roku doesn't seem to think beyond its own experience. It exists with the internal model numbers, and that's "good enough." They don't have empathy for why anyone would want to know which brand models are an internal model. It's a nothingburger to them. It's like we're talking martian.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
JamiS
Reel Rookie

In case someone else stumbles across this, here's the Roku link to devices and model numbers.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos