Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subhash06

Roku remote controlling roommates tv

Hi all, I bought the same tv(serial number and all) as my roommate because I liked it and now we both have Roku remotes. The problem is that when I turn my tv on/ use my tv, it turns on and uses his tv too. So if I turn my tv on it will turn his on, change channels, etc. any way to fix this or do I have to buy a new remote/tv?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote controlling roommates tv

Hi @subhash06,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, and thanks for posting about this issue!

We will be glad to assist in your issue with the Roku remote since it was controlling your roommate's Roku device or TV. Can you please provide what device you are using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV) In addition, you can also check out this support article on how to prevent the remote for another device from inadvertently controlling my Roku TV.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote controlling roommates tv

Assuming these are Roku TVs (sets that have Roku functionality built into them), the remotes supplied by the manufacturers are typically infrared (IR) remotes.  If you have the same TVs, as you said, then you have the same remotes and they would be completely interchangeable.  Each remote will operate whatever TV its IR beam lands on.  And depending on your room characteristics, sometimes the IR beam will bounce around and reach places you don't intend.

All Roku TVs can use the Roku Voice remotes.  These control over WiFi, not IR, and must be paired to the Roku it is intended to control.  Once paired it will only operate that one device.

Another possibility is to use the Roku Remote app on an iOS or Android mobile device.  When using this app, you choose which of the available Rokus you wish to control. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.