Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kalien

Roku express 4k just keeps giving me a black screen when watching content on apps

Hi I’ve been noticing when watching tv shows/movies on my Roku express 4k+ the screen just randomly goes black but the sound is still playing and then the screen comes back on. At first I thought it was the box I had so Roku sent me out a replacement and now the replacement box is doing it. Is anyone having this problem as well? I’ve noticed it happens on Hulu and paramount plus

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Roku express 4k just keeps giving me a black screen when watching content on apps

I have the same issue, but it doesn't return, just when I do a factory reset,  but after few minutes the screen turns off again. I don't know if it is related to the last update. I don't know what to do as well, I can't even downgrade.

Gerric917
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku express 4k just keeps giving me a black screen when watching content on apps

I'm having a similar issue with a black screen on Roku Express 4K+. Sometimes it turns back on after a few minutes, but it is VERY annoying. I simultaneously watched a show on Paramount+ with Express 4K+ and on my phone and everything was fine on the phone but not the Roku device. I also restarted the Roku and it worked okay but next time I tried to watch, same black screen appeared again. I hope someone can come up with a solution.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Gerric917,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

May we know the following information:

• When did you start having this issue?
  • What is your device running OS version?
  • Besides restarting the device, what else have you done in an attempt to fix the issue?
  • Can you mention all the channels affected by the issue?

Please give us updates so we can continue assisting.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gerric917
Channel Surfer

This issue started about 3 weeks ago. Software version is 12.5.0.

I don't watch a large number of different channels but the ones I noticed problems with are Peacock and Paramount+. On both of these channels, when I open the app and scroll through the titles, the screen blacks out with each title I scroll to, then corrects itself. On Paramount+, I had sections of the video (Willie Nelson Family) black out for anywhere from 15 to 60 seconds, then come back on. I did not have this issue when watching Sunday NFL Live on Paramount+.

The only thing I have done to try to correct the issue is to restart the Roku device.

I will keep you updated if I notice other issues.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.