Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff_net
Roku Guru

Roku app hanging on startup

Jump to solution

Hi

I have been using a samsung s7 only for my remote listening with earbuds to my roku tv box. As of last night stopped working. The app hangs on the purple screen. It eventually posts a message asking if I want to continue to wait or quit.

I've bounced the roku tv box, checked that the s7 is on same network, bounced the phone twice, reinstalled the roku app twice and no change. I used my s10 phone with same app and it loads the roku app no problem and connects fine. Did Roku do something to break the app on older phones? Or do I need more troubleshooting?

Thx

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku app hanging on startup

Jump to solution

Hi @jeff_net,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We see you are having trouble with your Roku mobile app, which is not working and hangs on the purple screen. Thanks for the steps you took to resolve the issue.

Our official Roku Mobile App is designed to be compatible with Android devices running version 5.0 or later.

For more troubleshooting, visit our support article: How to connect your phone to a Roku streaming device with the Roku mobile app.

Please keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jeff_net,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We see you are having trouble with your Roku mobile app, which is not working and hangs on the purple screen. Thanks for the steps you took to resolve the issue.

Our official Roku Mobile App is designed to be compatible with Android devices running version 5.0 or later.

For more troubleshooting, visit our support article: How to connect your phone to a Roku streaming device with the Roku mobile app.

Please keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
Summersday
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This generic support response does not fix this problem.

In particular, almost all of the troubleshooting suggestions assume that you can use the app. The problem is that the app will not load.

I have almost the same exact problem

• Samsung s7
  • Android 8.0
  • Forced upgrade to Roku 11.0.1
  • Only using the repurposed old phone as a remote and as an alarm

Previous versions of this app work great. But now the forced upgrade to this app does not work whatsoever. Not only does Roku hang at the purple screen, sometimes it hangs the phone.

Roku says it should work. What can we try when you can even get into the app? I have looked at the usual suspects and verified things such as the network is working.

• The remote works properly
  •  this version of the app works on an s22.
  • All previous versions of the app worked on this phone - android combination

It is particularly frustrating for Roku to force an upgrade to an app. At least let me use the old version.

jeff_net
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yep, just one day I try to use it and nothing. Then it's a big waste of time trying to get it to work. At least my old S7 HAD a good use; it allowed me to use my earbuds at night. Now I have to use my main phone which I don't like to do. But Roku has forced me to. I'll tell you what ; yes I'm hooked on tech, but I'd also like never to see any of it again; except maybe for gps directions.

Summersday
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well I'm glad to hear from you and sorry that you're having the same problem. Because you didn't respond I thought maybe the generic response worked for you. We are victims together! 🤕🤕

It is unfortunate that Roku insists that this should work with our phones and their software. More unfortunate they force us to upgrade to a version of that software that does not work. 

Maybe they will answer this since two of us are now complaining!

0 Kudos
jeff_net
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Maybe, but they obsolete their own roku boxes pretty quickly.

I'm tired of tech.  🙂 Thanks for your input. Hope you're right.

0 Kudos
Summersday
Channel Surfer

☹️ Sorry folks, this problem is NOT SOLVED

Jump to solution

If you are a customer who has this problem and comes to this article, unfortunately this is still an UNSOLVED problem. ☹️

I used to work in technical support for Microsoft. By classifying this problem as "solved" Roku can claim they don't have to do anything about it and try to move on to the next problem in their unsolved to-do list.  🤐 They get credit for classifying this as solved, not for solving it.

Roku! I would really appreciate it if you either fix the bug or tell us how to deal with it. Greatly appreciated. 😄

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.