Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
perseusco

Roku TV and Roku Player remote control setup

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have a Roku player I've been using for a few years connected to a non Roku TV, I decided to upgrade my TV to a Roku TV, however I still want to use my player because it seems to work faster in general, my question is:

Is it possible to use my Roku Player remote control for both TV and Player?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV and Roku Player remote control setup

Jump to solution

No, that is not possible. The TV remote will only control the TV, and the player remote will only control the player. That said, the player remote (if it's a remote with volume and mute buttons) can control the TV's volume, and if it has a power button can turn the TV off/on. That's all the player remote can do with the TV, but that might be all you need it to do.

I had the same setup with a Roku Ultra and Sharp Roku TV. The Ultra remote could turn the TV on/off and control the volume. Since that was all I wanted it to do, I could control everything I needed with that one remote. But if your Roku player remote is the simple IR remote, it will not be able to control anything on the TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Jump to solution

No, that is not possible. The TV remote will only control the TV, and the player remote will only control the player. That said, the player remote (if it's a remote with volume and mute buttons) can control the TV's volume, and if it has a power button can turn the TV off/on. That's all the player remote can do with the TV, but that might be all you need it to do.

I had the same setup with a Roku Ultra and Sharp Roku TV. The Ultra remote could turn the TV on/off and control the volume. Since that was all I wanted it to do, I could control everything I needed with that one remote. But if your Roku player remote is the simple IR remote, it will not be able to control anything on the TV.

Dan

0 Kudos
perseusco

Jump to solution

Thank you, that's all I need, I just set it up as CEIC and when I turn the TV on it automatically switches to my Roku Ultra.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

On a Roku TV it is possible to configure an HDMI input as your power up connection. Yes, CEC makes all that volume control stuff simple. 

Dan

0 Kudos
perseusco

Jump to solution

Where do you do that?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I don't have a Roku TV readily at hand (my daughter uses it as a computer monitor) but it's somewhere in the settings menu. It's been so long since I've used that TV as a TV I can't remember what the menu layout is. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.