Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter_h
Visitor

Roku TV Ethernet connection?

I have a 2019 Roku Smart TCL wireless TV #32S325 (NO ETHERNET). Having some wireless connection issues. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. Just wondering if i can buy a Roku Ultra and use the ethernet port and then use hdmi cable to connect to TV and bypass the wireless. Not sure if this will confuse wifi software. I have ethernet almost everywhere but this room and i can add it if i have to. Not looking to move modem/router. The router/modem is under 20 feet away but it is in a different building and passes through 2  exterior house walls. I can send the TV back if i have to and get one with a ethernet port. Contacted Roku support twice and no answer, just a ticket number...
Thanks, Peter
14 REPLIES 14
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV Ethernet connection?

"peter_h" wrote:
I have a 2019 Roku Smart TCL wireless TV #32S325 (NO ETHERNET). Having some wireless connection issues. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. Just wondering if i can buy a Roku Ultra and use the ethernet port and then use hdmi cable to connect to TV and bypass the wireless. Not sure if this will confuse wifi software. I have ethernet almost everywhere but this room and i can add it if i have to. Not looking to move modem/router. The router/modem is under 20 feet away but it is in a different building and passes through 2  exterior house walls. I can send the TV back if i have to and get one with a ethernet port. Contacted Roku support twice and no answer, just a ticket number...
Thanks, Peter

You can absolutely use a Roku box or Stick on a Roku TV. It won't confuse the TV. It might confuse the user, if you think you're on one but are actually on the other, but the TV will be just fine.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

peter_h
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. Peter
0 Kudos
jagreenough
Visitor

You could also try changing the WiFi channel
On ur router/gateway. Poor WiFi connectivity can be do to interference and a simple channel change can help.
Best,
Jeff
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

Or try a USB adapter.  I used a "Plugable e100" and it worked fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048 ... UTF8&psc=1
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@peter_h 

If wireless troubleshooting isn't helping resolve the issue you're running into, please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your TV from Settings>System>About, along with more details about the issue you're running into and I'll follow up directly to assist you further!

Thanks,
Tanner

katiep9

I tried to connect my TCL Roku 32" TV using the USB/Ethernet adapter but it didn't seem to work.  The TV doesn't seem to recognize the connection at all.  Did you have to change any setting in the router?

0 Kudos
not_a_knowitall
Reel Rookie

Just yesterday I found a video on YT that helped me solve my connectivity issues.  Do a search for wifi won’t stay connected on roku television.  It is a short but simple video that should fix the problem without costing you more money. I do not remember the gentleman’s name though.   Found it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLdLXqk7a50

0 Kudos
Smmoore2

Mine worked after I plugged it up and restarted the TV. 
#plugableUSB2.0 #ethernetadapter

Plugable USB 2.0 to Ethernet Fast... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00484IEJS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

0 Kudos
ZeroGravityFire
Reel Rookie

@Smmoore2, I tried a different ethernet adapter and it didn’t work and now I’ve tried this Plugable USB 2.0 & still can’t get it to work.  I read a bunch of other people’s posts about this exact adapter and I’ve done the system restart several times.  Is there a trick to this? Do I need to be on a wireless network first or something?

0 Kudos