Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blaster42
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku TV Disable WiFi (PERMANENTLY)

Back to the original question....

How do you disconnect the Roku's (not the tv) wifi?

I have the 2020 one that has ethernet port, but there is no way to disable wifi from Roku.  I just want to cut something to disable/de-power the antenna broadcast and be done with it...

Will this affect the remote control?  Seems the remote is wifi also, so these people are **bleep** bent to radiate us all with no remorse....

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

Go to Home, Settings, System, Advanced system settings, Device Connect.  Check Disable Device connect.

That disabled the wifi for me, I checked it with my meter.  And check it occasionally, people have said that it turns itself back on, but that never happened for me.

I can't speak to the remote still working because I don't use the RF voice remote that comes with Roku Ultras, they emit RF constantly, so I use the Roku Simple Remote, you can buy them through Roku and sometimes ebay has them, but be sure they are originals and have the little roku tag on the bottom.

They don't power the tv off and on, they don't have volume control, and you can't talk to it, but I don't mind, I just use the TV remote for those functions.

blaster42
Channel Surfer

Thanks.  I think I did this.  When i first had roku on I could see the ssid broadcast on my phone (with my phone wifi turned on), and it was a full strength signal.  Now I do not see the ssid, but I do not have a meter to check to know if I turned off the actual wifi broadcast or just the ssid broadcast...

I watched one of the vids to unplug the wifi.  If the antenna says "wifi" as did the tv in the video then it will be easy....  All he did was unplug the "wifi" module and the bluetooth module.  Roku is much more small and compact, so might be more difficult to get to anything.  Anyone unplugged anything in Roku?

What is this roku remote?  Is is wifi? bluetooth?

I will look for the simple remote you suggest.  I have sound through external speakers, so really only need the most simple of remotes.  I see $5 ones on Ebay, is this the "simple" one?

ebay remote 

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

I don't know if something could be cut or disconnected inside the Roku to stop the RF, I didn't need to pursue it becasue what I did definitely stops the wifi RF.  That, plus the Roku Simple Remote, which doesn't use RF.

I just pulled out my RF meter and checked again, it's clean.  Although I had also stopped my wifi on the TV.

Here's the link to the 3 different Roku remotes, the Simple Remote is $15.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories

Did you watch a video of someone actually taking the Roku apart to stop the wifi, or are you talking about doing it to the TV?

I did that on my smart TVs, it was quite easy, but none of my TVs have bluetooth, just wifi, maybe that's why it just involved disconnecting one ribbon cable.

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

Oh, that remote from ebay that you posted isn't a roku remote, it's a remote for roku tvs, so that's not what you want.

0 Kudos
blaster42
Channel Surfer

it will not work the Roku Ultra?  It says it is for "streaming player" and list the Ultra.  I do not care who makes it, aftermarket remote is fine with me.  What info do you have that this does not work?

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

That one should be fine.
When I clicked your link the first time, it took me to one that was $4.74 and it was for a Roku TV.  It had the volume buttons on the side.
MartyPA
Streaming Star

I just had to post my recent experience buying a new smart TV.
My 50" bedroom TV died and I wasn't looking forward to finding one that ticked my boxes.  I wanted a smart TV, preferably a Roku TV that didn't have Blutooth, came with a simple IR remote, and had an ethernet port.  I found one, the TCL S555 series, 2022 model.
I decided to set it up to be sure it worked before disconnecting the wifi module in case it didn't work and I'd have to return it.  I've bought TVs in the past that arrived with a screen that was cracked internally.

When I set it up I didn't need to connect a Roku since it's a Roku TV, so I plugged it in and the only thing that I had connected to it was the ethernet cord.
While setting it up, I skipped the part to connect it to the internet.
But it connected automatically!  And the best part is that the wifi isn't active, I have an acousticom meter!!!!  I've had it for 2 days and have checked numerous times and it's clean.

For all I know, maybe the module is defective but I'm not going to risk trying to set it up through wifi to find out.
I'm thinking that maybe with a new TV, or at least newer TCLs, if the wifi module is never activated in the first place, maybe it just stays inactive.  Or maybe TCL manufacturer fixed it so that if the ethernet cord is attached, the wifi doesn't turn on.  But either way, it is not active.

It would be great if when someone buys a new smart TV they try setting it up like I did and post their results.  But remember, if it's Blutooth and has a RF remote you probably won't get the same result.
0 Kudos