Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goldenmountain
Channel Surfer

Roku TV Disable WiFi (PERMANENTLY)

I own the 32" TCL 4k TV. I don't have an RF meter so can't verify this 100%  but in another discussion thread on this same topic, someone said the following:

If when you set up the TV you do not choose to connect to the internet it will not enable wifi in the TV. When setting up, simply choose "I will connect to the internet later." If you have already set up your TV, you will need to do a factory reset first, so that you can get to the screen with that option. 

I have done this myself and am hoping the wifi is no longer transmitting. What I can say is since I did this all internet settings from the menu have disappeared, there is no "direct connect," nothing. That seems like a good sign that wifi is not active.  If anyone has an RF meter, please try this and confirm that your TV stops broadcasting a signal. Hopefully we have found an easy fix for everyone!

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
MartyPA
Streaming Star

Re: Disable WiFi (PERMANENTLY)

I do have an RF meter and that, unfortunately, doesn't work, at least not with my smart TV's, I tried it.
Had that worked I wouldn't have had to physically unplug the WiFi module in the TV's.

Luckily my smart TV's don't have BluTooth, that might have made it more complicated, and they all came with IR remotes, not RF remotes.  None of them are 4K, that's fine with me, because the more expensive TV's all have BluTooth and RF remotes.
The BluTooth can probably be disabled as well, and replacement remotes can probably be used with them, I just haven't had to worry about it yet.
goldenmountain
Channel Surfer

Marty, thanks for verifying this doesn't work. It looks like my only option then is to take off the back of the TV and unplug the wifi module or get a new TV - for me its especially important because I am using the TV as a computer monitor and sit before it all day.   I have to say I am a little intimidated about trying to open it up after reading Rob's post. 20 screws?? were you able to do it without any problem? Did you have any trouble getting everything back together once it was apart?

I have the 43S425. It came with an IR remote, not RF.  Just  did a quick google search and though it is a little unclear from the variety of info, I did find one reply that said "this TV does not come with a bluetooth adapter" - so that at least is a relief. 

I am pretty new to learning about RF. No one ever informed me of the risks, and I was unaware there were any. Over the years anytime I have ever heard  anyone express concern there was always someone who immediately dismissed his concerns as unfounded. I wrongly assumed that meant there were no real risks.  Maybe there is something hidden in the fine print of all the wireless/cellular devices discussing risks which I never read. 

I didn't even start to get interested until I realized a smart meter had been installed on our house without our knowing it. At that point, trying to get better informed, I read Kane's book on cellular radiation. Then I was horrified to think of all the times in the past I have slept with my iphone right next to my head!  Not to mention it is also usually right next to me all day long. I have to say I am shocked and disturbed that the knowledge Kane lays out in that book is not common knowledge.  It seems astonishing that the public has not been educated about the risks, and that very few people have a clear picture of the dangers of these technologies -  including myself until very recently.  A few weeks ago I could not have made this post and was literally surrounded on every side by wifi and bluetooth devices.

I have just now started thinking about how many things are emitting RF in my  house - how many I can get rid of, and how many I can reduce using.

I  did notice your old post in which you said that the TV actually had to be removed for power or it will not stop transmitting wifi. So last night I unplugged the TV, turned off the wifi repeater upstairs, and disabled every single wifi/cellular device in my bedroom. The result? I woke up for the first time in years with no aches and pains. I am a longterm sufferer of chronic pain, so believe me when I say waking up free of pain is not a minor incident. Usually the morning is my worst time. I am actually so surprised and intrigued by this that I have decided, if nothing else, I will definitely continue to experiment with reducing and eliminating as much RF from my house as possible so that I can observe the results.  Which means I will probably end up opening up this TCL TV, hesitant as I am to do it!

I would like to buy an RF meter myself but am reluctant because of the high price. What kind of meter do you use? Are there any less expensive ones that actually work? From what I've read any meter under $200 is basically useless. I don't understand why these things are so insanely expensive?

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

Hi,

If it makes you feel any better I'm a 68 year old woman and had no trouble disconnecting the wifi module in any of my 4 smart tvs.

One of them is a TCL 49s325.  I also did it on an older Sony, LG and Sharp.

And it is true, at least on all of my sets, that they all emitted RF even when turned off as long as they were plugged into power.  That's why I bought a meter.

Also, I had read that the wifi could be turned off on certain TVs through the settings, but that didn't work on any of mine.  That may have changed now with newer sets.

Here's a couple of videos that show how it's done, although the backs on all TV's are different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6VqeNzmv4

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Ba45GPi2Q

goldenmountain
Channel Surfer

Rob, thanks for the instructions with picture. I have a different model of TV: the 43S425. But I followed your instructions and although the internals of my TV look different I believe I successfully disconnected the ribbon running from the wifi module to the main board.  (I've attached a picture showing the ribbon I disconnected so you can see what I'm talking about.) I know I correctly identified the wifi module because I googled the number on it to verify. I also identified the thin black wire that connects to the wifi module. However, I wanted to ask you before proceeding, is it actually necessary to disconnect that black wire to stop the wifi from transmitting? What exactly does that black wire do, which is different from the ribbon that connects the module to the main board? I'm guessing if the wifi module can't reach the main board, it can't produce an actual wifi signal? If this is not correct and the black wire itself allows the TV to send a wifi signal even without the ribbon attached, is there anything I can do as an alternative to snipping it? At some point I will give this TV away to someone who I imagine, unlike myself, will want to use the wifi capabilities. So I would like to make it as easy as possible to return the TV to its default functioning when I do that. Appreciate your help.

IMG_7821.jpg

0 Kudos
goldenmountain
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the links Marty.

As you will see from the above message I was able to get into my TV and disconnect the wifi ribbon.

One question I have for you, since you are no longer getting RF emissions from your TV: did you just disconnect the wifi ribbon, or did you also snip the black wire? I have not yet snipped the black wire, and want to verify this is actually necessary to disable wifi before I do so.

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

All that I disconnected on all of the tvs was the ribbon cable.  It was quite a while ago but I don't recall there even being another cable, and of course all tvs are different.

But I do know that I didn't remove or snip anything else.  

goldenmountain
Channel Surfer

thanks for letting me know, marty. since you have an RF meter and have actually tested RF emission before and after, it seems clear it's enough to remove the ribbon cable to totally disable the wifi - so I'll leave the black wire alone.

I just ordered an RF meter myself so soon I'll be able to start measuring RF all over the house!

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you. 

0 Kudos
jandye7454
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV Disable WiFi (PERMANENTLY)

One query I have for you, because you are not getting RF emissions from your TV: did you just disconnect the wifi ribbon, or did you furthermore may snip the black wire? I have no longer but snipped the black cord, and need to confirm this is really vital to disable wifi before I achieve this service page.

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

Re: Roku TV Disable WiFi (PERMANENTLY)

I'm not sure who you're asking, but I don't think there even was a black wire coming from the modules because when I did my first smart TV, I didn't have an RF meter, so I would have wondered if it should have been snipped. At the time, I just knew that the TV was no longer a smart TV.  I definitely didn't disconnect or snip anything else on any of my TV's.  I just unplugged the wifi ribbon.

But like I said, none of the 4 TVs had BluTooth and all came with an IR remote, perhaps that's why there was no black wire.

0 Kudos