Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hilvertr

Re: Roku TCL remote battery drains quickly

Jump to solution

TCL Support has very strict warranty requirements and won't replace my remote without a receipt. Seems like a common issue and disappointed to that the remote build quality is skimped on. Basically ensuring I need to buy a new remote every 6 months.

0 Kudos
hilvertr

Jump to solution

TCL wont replace after a year or without a reciept. Better off just cutting your loses and buying a non-Roku TV. With remotes costing $80+ it will pay for itself in 2-3 years.

0 Kudos
dtseng1

Jump to solution

I had the exact same problem and called customer service with the number below. The issue was that the remote was not actually paired with the television. Once I called customer service and they walked me through the pairing process the remote worked perfectly!

0 Kudos
PabloColorado
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here, but it drains batteries on voice remotes purchased directly from Roku.

I've done this with three different remotes. I doubt tcl will be offering support or replacement on remotes purchased from Roku.

0 Kudos
PabloColorado
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am seeing this on the enhanced remote purchased from Ruku.

It's not a particular remote, either. I have tried 3 of them with this TV, and the same thing happens on all three remotes. 

Brand new fresh batteries get a weeks use or less.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @PabloColorado

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Battery life will vary based on usage. For normal use, the remote batteries may last two months or longer. Does your Roku remote support private listening? This may also be one factor for the battery drain.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be viewed by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PabloColorado
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello

Thanks for the response

The SN of the device is YSOO66445101

Software version 10.0.0 - build 4209-30

Roku TV 7138X

TCL Model 75R615

less than 24 hours ago replaced batteries, down to 85% now.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@PabloColorado 

Appreciate the prompt response.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PabloColorado
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

also, the remote is a "voice remote" purchased directly from Roku. 

"Roku Voice Remote - RC490"

Purchased November 13, 2020

Order #80030624

0 Kudos
bstamper

Re: Roku stick remote control is draining batteries

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Mhelenek wrote:

I have a Roku TCL TV, so no Roku stick. I also don’t use earbuds and have the same problem. It’s possible though that this remote, (which is new and not factory with my tv) is draining for the same reason. Danny from Roku has been of 0 help so far though.

Every Roku TV I've seen has only come with an IR remote. They don't 2-way communicate with the device, and only use power when a button is pressed. There might be a stuck button that is causing a constant IR signal, and that could run the battery down. You can check the remote by looking at the front through a digital camera, such as a phone camera. If you see a flashing light, even when you aren't pressing a button, that's the problem. If there's no flashing unless you press a button, then the remote is likely defective. 

Roku does not provide hardware support for the TVs, as they are not the manufacturer. If the remote is defective you would need to contact TCL for assistance. 

Replying a couple years after this was posted, but just wanted to say this was the most helpful response. I did not know about the thing where you can see the IR signal using your phone camera, that's pretty neat! And it showed that in our case for whatever reason our battery-eating remote has the IR constantly on at a low level, and it does not appear to be from a stuck button. Each button I tried made the IR glow much brighter, and none of them seem to be sticking. Our other Roku remotes are completely dark when no buttons are pressed (and of course don't go through batteries so quickly).

So it appears to be just a defective remote. For now we'll pop a battery out when we're not using it and I'll try to find a replacement. Thanks for the camera tip, made diagnosing the problem easy!

0 Kudos