Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickPR

Re: Roku TCL TV making too many calls to scribe.logs.roku.com

Happens on Roku Ultra also.

Clearly they are not managing the "not found" DNS lookup very well, instead of keep trying in incremental intervals, they decided to "push trough" and kept retrying every couple of seconds.

I use Roku since I can't remember when... and I'm extremely pissed with this... Roku is going the way of the dinosaurs with smart TVs and their main point of sale (at least for me) it's the privacy.

I have no doubt Roku knows about this and is silent... they don't even answer, which piss me off even more.

So this is my first and last post... thank you Roku for years of entertainment (I mean this) but you crossed the line.

JeffSloan
Channel Surfer

Wondering...
If it just keeps retrying so often, what would happen if whitelisted?
Anyone tried it, then monitored how often it is sent?
Could actually help local network traffic if it was white listed?

I haven't tried, it, but seems like a fairly easy test, can always black list it again...

0 Kudos
JeffSloan
Channel Surfer

Ok, I tried it, whitelisting it.
It was failing every 30 seconds and re-trying.

After whitelisting, the device did one lookup, succeeded, and hasn't attempted that address in the last 6 minutes now.
The only other lookup this TV did was to liberty.logs.roku.com, which was already whitelisted by the default pi-hole database.

How much extra traffic on my network and out to the web this will enable in the grand scheme of things...I don't know, but the thousands of repeated attempts all the time stopping would seem to put my mind at ease.

Someone knowing how I use my device, what I watch, etc. does not affect me in the slightest.
I am not using my Roku's to watch videos on how to overthrow the government, make drugs, etc., so I could care less.

I use my pi-hole to try and limit tons of traffic going out my network in the form of dns lookups in the first place, so I let the pi-hole resolve it locally, saving my router and modem from all that traffic. When something like this is blocked, and just ends up causing storms of internal try after retry from my 5 different Roku devices alone, I think just allowing it is actually better for both my internal network, and for my sanity.

0 Kudos
JeffSloan
Channel Surfer

Where I was getting 22 per minute blocked for this site in my household, I now get only 11 an hour total lookups for the household. 

So it would seem the "fix" would be to allow the lookups on your network.

0 Kudos
jasonmicron
Binge Watcher

I had the same thought. What if blacklisting it just causes it to try even harder. I haven't tried though.

0 Kudos
jasonmicron
Binge Watcher

Well I wouldn't call that a "fix". But I know what you mean. Roku doesn't need to track me. But good to know that it calms down if the device receives an ACK.

Hmm. Maybe there is some DNS trickery to make that happen without allowing it out.

ocsbsbll1

I only found these via pfblocker on pfsense

rahilpathan
Reel Rookie

this community support is useless. No oversight, no moderator, nobody to answer to this thread and its been on the top issues several times in this forum.

0 Kudos
Scribe_Logs_CSU
Reel Rookie

I agree with you NickPR, Roku needs to have some sort of response to this, it's not needed traffic. It's no resource or strain on my network nor do I care that I block it.

I give or take 35hours it has queried "scribe.logs.roku.com - 83,475 times - Global percent of all queries blocked: 79.04%". This is with a Roku3 and a Roku Ultra on the network, in the same amount of time there has been "150,961 DNS Queries Total".

I'm going to monitor the traffic and record what else the Roku Ultra and Ruku 3 are doing on non ports outside of 80/HTTP and 443/HTTPS. Anyways after 24hrs I'll check it over and report back with my findings.

Bmac28
Reel Rookie

Maybe the question should be how did this domain end up in the gravity database.  If it truly is a privacy issue, then I'd rather keep it on the block list and continue to call out Roku for not responding to this thread.  It's interesting that whitelisting it significantly reduces the DNS requests, but I'm more interested in knowing what exactly am I sharing with Roku with this "log" message.