Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbat
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TCL TV making too many calls to scribe.logs.roku.com

If you have pi-hole just add scribe.logs.roku.com to your domain list and have it resolve to 127.0.0.1 🙂
and white list it. lol

SwaggyMike
Reel Rookie

Great idea, thanks.

0 Kudos
ralphie_suzy
Streaming Star

That sounds like a great idea…

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
0 Kudos

@jbat New pi-hole user here. Would you be willing to post step-by-step tutorial on how to do what you are suggesting? Thanks. 

In your pihole admin, look for Blacklist > then add the domain (logs.roku.com). Make sure you check the "wildcard" box and hit "Add to blacklist". Done. Then check your logs and watch the hundreds of times your Roku tries to phone home. It's obscene....

0 Kudos
therevphil

So, I run AdGuard Home, similar to Pi hole, and obviously I get the same issue with thousands of logging requests from Roku TV. I experimented with different ways of responding to these requests and have discovered the following about these responses:

1) NXDOMAIN, causes the device to resend a DNS request every 10 seconds (at least, can be more)

2) NOERROR, same as 1.

3) 0.0.0.0, same as 1

4) 127.0.0.1 same as 1

5) SERVFAIL, causes 2 requests to be sent every 30 seconds

6) REFUSED, same as 5

In addition to this methods 1-4 can result in large numbers of re-requests when actually using the device. I see runs of 10 to 30 requests over a few seconds when switching channels etc, however this is not the case with methods 5 & 6, I only ever see pairs of requests at a much lower frequency.

So, currently I'm using REFUSED as my response, and I think this best represents whats happening.

On AdGuard Home, this can be implemented in the custom filtering section with the entry:

||logs.roku.com^^$important,dnsrewrite=REFUSED;;

I'm sure its something similar on PiHole.

This has no impact on the performance of the device (Roku TV Express), and its actually the fastest of all my streaming devices in terms of responsiveness. Just block and forget about it...

N.B. You will only see this behaviour if you block all but your own outbound DNS requests, as the Roku will use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as a fallback for any 'failed' requests.

Tismo
Binge Watcher

@jbat wrote:

If you have pi-hole just add scribe.logs.roku.com to your domain list and have it resolve to 127.0.0.1 🙂
and white list it. lol

Could you please post the steps to do this? I don’t wanna do something wrong and cripple my network

Tismo
Binge Watcher

Dear roku. Your software is cancer.

7C28F160-0C88-422C-8DFE-8F582AF4E212.jpeg

Evolved
Reel Rookie

I use AdGuard Home as well and this worked great for me.  Very helpful, thanks!

0 Kudos
OneGuy83

yup this is still an issue. Roku needs to allow opting out of this stuff. they're not getting the data from people who know how to block it anyways.. 

0 Kudos