Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbelsole
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku TCL TV making too many calls to scribe.logs.roku.com

@Visitor45763 wrote:

It just occurred to me: is this related to using an "enhanced" voice remote? Is it recording audio all the time? (The hostname "scribe" sounds unusual. Like "transcribe?"). 

I do not have a voice remote. I have the app on my phone, but it is rarely open.

DavilLMO
Reel Rookie

Number 3 most blocked IP in my Winston Privacy blocked list.  Worst offenders is imrworldwide.com - relentless.  > 500,000 hits in 24 hours.

0 Kudos
ArKay74
Reel Rookie

It tries to connect to this site every 30 seconds, even when you are not using it. So I doubt it has anything to do with user experience. It's blocked in my network as well.

wreckedred
Reel Rookie

It has been a year plus since this issue was raised. Has anyone heard from Roku on this?

0 Kudos
cbelsole
Channel Surfer

No, which is ironic since whenever the logs get through I start getting timeouts on my Roku devices. I can't imagine the user experience that their customers are receiving without a dns proxy.

0 Kudos
sundragon
Reel Rookie

I use my Roku daily and I have a PiHole but it has more calls than every other device on my network combined. I went away for the weekend and I checked PiHole when I got back and even with zero use the Roku was making an insane amount of calls to scribe. So the device being used or not has nothing to do with the number of calls it makes to scribe. I initially thought they were sending telemetry back to inform development but this kinda says otherwise... Maybe the protocol is poorly written and it freaks out when it has no access? I would like some transparency from Roku as to what this is. If it made sense or why so many. I would be fine letting them through but without that transparency, it gets blocked. Considering we paid for their device, we deserve to know what they are tracking and why - simple.

wreckedred
Reel Rookie

Heya Sundragon - same experience. I think we are just shouting in the wind here though...how do we get the attention of Roku?

0 Kudos
sundragon
Reel Rookie

I agree, we are yelling at the wind. I don't think they want to give it attention because then they'd have to explain and be transparent. Also, we are in a tiny minority... So block block block - I paid for the device, I am paying for the apps I use, I don't owe them data unless they explain what it's for, full stop. 

eL_Shinny

I agree with everyone to this point.  I see the exact same thing on my network (using Pihole).  Has anyone looked in the packets to see what data is in there?

0 Kudos
ralphie_suzy
Streaming Star

Followed the rabbit hole here. I'll presume Roku know and it won't change on their end; so it won't change on my end. There's also cooper.logs.roku.com that I'll be blacklisting. Even a semi, non-lawyered-up, explanation would be appreciated.

EDIT; just ran across samples.voice.cti.roku.com

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
0 Kudos