Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amrocky
Reel Rookie

Roku Streambar operation without an Internet connection

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a Roku Sharp TV which is internet connected and works ok. It is a small 24" TV so I am considering compact Soundbar options to improve the audio quality. I was looking for a soundbar with HDMI Arc so that it would auto switch on etc when required. The setup is for a caravan (holiday home) so although internet is provided I am limited to my number of concurrent connections and don't want to have to pay for additional wifi connection for the soundbar.

Therefore my query is - will the Roku Soundbar operate OK when connected to a Roku enabled TV over HDMI Arc without connecting the sounder to the internet also? I will use the Smart Roku TV for any TV streaming content.

Additionally, assuming the sound bar could be used, would the Airplay to the soundbar work when it doesn't have an internet enabled wifi connection (I can connect it to wifi so it would be on the local network but don't want to use up an internet licence token if possible).

Hopefully that all makes some sense - I asked the initial question on Amazon and one of the answers pointed me here. Most people said just buy an ordinary soundbar but I like the compact nature of the Roku one and ideally want HDMI Arc for auto switch on etc.

thanks, Andrew.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Streambar operation without an Internet connection

Jump to solution

Hello! @amrocky,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry about connecting a Roku Streambar to your Roku TV. We are happy to assist you.

When connecting your Roku Streambar SE or Roku Streambar to a Roku TV system, the setup process is automatic so you can sit back and get ready to enjoy exceptional sound. It will work as long as your Roku TV is connected to the internet and the Roku Stremabar is connected via HDMI-ARC. 

For additional information on setting up the Roku Streambar on your Roku TV, please check it here: How to set up your Roku Streambar SE or Roku Streambar with a Roku TV system.

You can connect Airplay to your Roku TV, but you cannot connect it directly to your Roku Streambar as the Streambar is only used as an audio device.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @amrocky,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry about connecting a Roku Streambar to your Roku TV. We are happy to assist you.

When connecting your Roku Streambar SE or Roku Streambar to a Roku TV system, the setup process is automatic so you can sit back and get ready to enjoy exceptional sound. It will work as long as your Roku TV is connected to the internet and the Roku Stremabar is connected via HDMI-ARC. 

For additional information on setting up the Roku Streambar on your Roku TV, please check it here: How to set up your Roku Streambar SE or Roku Streambar with a Roku TV system.

You can connect Airplay to your Roku TV, but you cannot connect it directly to your Roku Streambar as the Streambar is only used as an audio device.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
amrocky
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

that is great - thank you.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.