daylward
Channel Surfer

Roku Streambar Apple TV Pausing

Hi guys. I recently bought a Roku Streambar to improve on the sound of my old Roku streaming stick 4k+ but have had constant problems with the playback of Apple TV on it (buffering wheel shows but it never resumes) often exacerbated by pausing the show at an earlier stage.

Playing about with it in the last week I have made the following observations and deductions:

* All software is up-to-date, system and channel

* I have removed the channel, restarted the device and reinstalled it without success.

* Other channels are perfectly fine.

* WiFi is good. C.80Mb/s test.

* I initially thought this was an issue with Apple TV itself. However, no matter what I do I cannot replicate the issue on my old Roku streaming stick on the same TV / WiFi network.

* I even took back the Streambar to the store and had it replaced. Unfortunately, the new one is exactly the same.

As such, I can't help but think this is an issue between the hardware of the Streambar and the channel software. I know others have had issues with Apple TV and buffering but as stated it works flawlessly on my old streaming stick +.

Has anybody else had this issue or have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Streambar Apple TV Pausing

Hi @daylward

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the Apple TV channel. No worries, help is here. If the issue persists on one channel after attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. The channel developers themselves maintain channels on Roku. In this case, an issue within that specific channel likely needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator

What a coincidence. I too have 2 Roku Pro Stream Bars that have the same problem. This is what i found. In the past I purchased movies from apple. As apple computer software evolved they split music, books, and movies into different apps. I just purchased a new Mac mini which has the Apple TV app. I didn't realize that my movies that i had purchased were now associated with that app. I installed the Apple TV app on my Roku Pro Streaming sound bar and tried to play my movies. Also thinking that nothing was wrong i purchased 2 new movies from Apple which were HD quality. Any movie that was HD quality would not play properly. They just kept buffering, stopping and starting. The only way I could get them to play properly was to change the play back setting in their app to SD play back only. I sent them an email and told them what the problem was and that i wanted a refund which they gave me. I dumped the Apple TV app from my Roku Pro Stream Bars. The problem with the stream bars is that they only have a wireless connection. I have 100MB internet with a 50 MB or higher connection to the stream bar so it shouldn't have been a problem with the wireless connection. The funny part of this is that i have a TV in my basement with a Roku Ultra connected with an Ethernet connection and the movies would play in HD okay. It took me about a week and half to figure this out. Apple TV App will not work in HD with wireless Roku Stream Bars. Hope this helps you and everyone else. Also I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Paramount, and Showtime and have NOT had a HD streaming issue with any of my Roku Pro Sound bars. Good Luck.

daylward
Channel Surfer

Hi Guys. Good to know it's not only me! I have raised a ticket with Apple and they are investigating. I will update as and when I know more...

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.