Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AhmedE
Binge Watcher

Roku OS keeps renaming HDMI 1 input

In the last few days my TV's OS has suddenly begun renaming and changing the icon for HDMI 1 on it's own. I have two devices sharing HDMI 1 via an HDMI selector switch. One is a Nintendo Switch console, the other is a cable box. The input for HDMI 1 is named "HDMI Devices" and I use the icon that looks like a switch box. Each time I turn on my Nintendo Switch, the OS renames the input to "Nintendo Switch" and changes the icon to the image of a controller. Now, I have tried cancelling the change as soon as the prompt comes up, to no use. The change happens immediately even if I cancel.

I am getting sick and tired of changing the name and icon back. It didn't use to be like this. Why in blazes has the TV's OS started doing this? I have already tried unplugging the TV and plugging it back in and restarting it via the menu. Both have proved fruitless and the OS still changes the name of the input whenever I turn the game console on.

11 REPLIES 11
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku OS keeps renaming HDMI 1 input

Reading your post a couple of times, I don't see that you actually said it's a Roku TV. Now, I'm assuming it is, and not a TV with a Roku attached, which is different.

So, what's the TV's manufacturer?

Also, go to Settings > System > About

What is the Roku model number and OS version?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AhmedE
Binge Watcher

The TV is a Roku TV, manufactured by Sharp Consumer Electronics.

TV manufacture and TV model number: Sharp Roku TV, model LC-43LB01U

Roku Model number is 8302X.

OS version is 10.0.0 Build 4177-71

I can't for the life of me figure out why it has suddenly started doing this. The Nintendo Switch has shared the HDMI 1 port with another device via an HDMI selector switch since late 2019. It has never renamed and changed the icon for the input before and only began doing so a few days ago. I can't help but feel like this is due to a recent update to the Roku OS as there is no other software in use.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Its happening because of recent upgrade feature called " Automatic Game Console Configuation", see this page:

https://support.roku.com/article/360051606053

You have turn off game mode to stop it, scroll down further directions.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AhmedE
Binge Watcher

OK, how do I turn off this "Automatic Game Console Configuration" I have tried setting game mode to off in picture settings and it still renames the input tile. 

Edit:

Never mind, game mode was constantly being turned on by itself, but now seems to have remained off after I kept turning off again.

0 Kudos
AhmedE
Binge Watcher

Roku Game Mode setting and automatic gaming control...

Last week I spent time exchanging messages in the forums about my TV's HDMI 1 port's tile in the roku menu constantly being renamed to match a game console that is connected to it. The problem is that the game console, while being connected to HDMI 1 isn't the only item that is connected to that port. The game console shares the port with a cable box via an HDMI selector switch.

I learned that this was do to a feature added to the Roku OS called "Game Mode". I turned the mode off and thought that was the last of it. Yet it kept happening, Checking the settings, I discovered that Game Mode was constantly getting turned back on at random. I reported this and chatted with a tech support rep about it a bit. Some have speculated that the issue (game mode getting turned back on) was being caused by something that has to do with that specific port or the TV's manufacturer.

I can now say that the problem has nothing to do with the port or the TV's manufacturer, Last Friday, that TV's backlight burned out and I opted to buy a new TV instead of getting it repaired. My new TV is from a different manufacture than the old one. The only thing the two TV's have in common is the Smart Platform. I liked the Roku platform quite a bit and had decided to stick with it for the new one.

My new TV is by TCL and the issue with Game Mode randomly getting turned back on by itself is still happening. With that known, perhaps the people behind programming the features of the OS should look into it. That mere fact that the same problem appears on two separate TVs from two separate manufactures makes it look to me like this is a bug in the Roku OS itself. Please fix it so game mode stays off unless the user manually turns it back on.

0 Kudos

Re: Roku Game Mode setting and automatic gaming control...

Checking the blog, its unfortunately related to OS version 10.0 that's starting to be rolled out.

It adds an automatic game configuration feature that currently, I see no way to turn off. For anyone using an HDMI switcher, its going to be a headache.

Literally reset my password just to log in and reply because I just noticed this beginning today as well. Its obnoxious.

0 Kudos

Roku OS 10.0 Needs a Way to Disable Automatic Game Configuration

Just began to notice this today, but I booted up my PS4 and was immediately greeted with a message about game mode being enabled. I thought that was a bit odd, as I already had the normal picture game mode enabled in the video settings for the input.

I went back to the Home menu to find that my HDMI switch's input had also been renamed to Playstation 4 automatically. Immediately started searching to try to figure out what could be causing it to find out that OS version 10.0 started rolling out and implemented a new feature, with no way to disable it.

https://support.roku.com/article/360051606053

Considering the input's attached to an HDMI switch, I now have an input that's constantly changing names based on what I last powered on, which is obnoxious to say the least.

The idea sounds good enough on paper, but there needs to be a way to toggle it off, and it should default to off in the first place. Nobody enjoys having things they manually set a specific way for a reason constantly changing without input. Especially as there's no way to rollback the update, and I'd assume the intention is to push this out to everyone eventually.

AhmedE
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Needs a Way to Disable Automatic Game Configuration

Even after the recent update to the Roku OS, game mode is still getting turned back on by itself at random. I am getting sick and tired of having to turn game mode off and changing the HDMI port's icon and name back to what I had them set to. Constantly changing things back to how I had them is becoming an exercise in frustration. Roku staff: do us all a favor and JUST GET RID OF AUTOMATIC GAMING CONTROL ALTOGETHER!

At this point nothing short of the complete elimination of automatic gaming control and game mode will satisfy me. Many of us have our TV picture settings customized to suite our own personal tastes and/or needs. Constantly having to change the settings and tile name/icon back is starting to get aggravating.

hperrin

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Needs a Way to Disable Automatic Game Configuration

I am also experiencing this issue. I have a ps4, switch, and cable box all connected through an HDMI switch. Roku keeps changing the name and icon of the input to the first one that turns on. I don’t want to turn off game mode, because I want the decreased input latency it provides, I just don’t want it to delete my settings anymore!