Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgman
Reel Rookie

Roku Home Menu Bloatware Bonanza

Jump to solution

Once again, Roku, you have added unwelcome bloatware to my home screen.  Why are you advertising Agatha All Along on the right side, lower left side and now the home item menu on the left side of the Home screen?  STOP IT!  I am tired of having to go into settings to hide all the **bleep** you add to these menus, now about every week! 

Roku used to be just perfect for my family.  I have two Sharp Roku TVs and two Roku Sticks.  It did an excellent job of hosting the 9 streaming apps we regularly use.  Now it has been cramming more and more unwelcome trash down our throats, none of which I want our children to get into!

Is it Roku's new mission to anger its users?  Good job!

What do we users have to do to change this culture?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Home Menu Bloatware Bonanza

Jump to solution

Hello! @cyberstoic@kgman,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your contacting us about ads appearing on your home screen. We're happy to help.

By sharing your ad preferences, you can control the ads displayed on your Roku streaming device's Home Screen and screensaver.

Roku allows you to limit the ads shown on your device by hiding individual ads or limiting specific ad categories.

Use the following instructions to opt out of ads that may contain sensitive content:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Privacy
  4. Select Advertising
  5. Select Sensitive ad content
  6. Select one or more sensitive ad categories
  7. Press OK 

Checking a sensitive ad category means you are restricting the types of ads Roku will be able to show on your Home Screen and screensaver. Your ad preferences are immediately saved and will be applied to all streaming devices connected to your Roku account.

• Note: Ad preferences can only be used if Personalized Ads is enabled.

For additional information, please check it here: How to manage ad preferences.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
cyberstoic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I 100% agree.  It is beyond unacceptable to add content to my menu without my expressed consent.  

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @cyberstoic@kgman,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your contacting us about ads appearing on your home screen. We're happy to help.

By sharing your ad preferences, you can control the ads displayed on your Roku streaming device's Home Screen and screensaver.

Roku allows you to limit the ads shown on your device by hiding individual ads or limiting specific ad categories.

Use the following instructions to opt out of ads that may contain sensitive content:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Privacy
  4. Select Advertising
  5. Select Sensitive ad content
  6. Select one or more sensitive ad categories
  7. Press OK 

Checking a sensitive ad category means you are restricting the types of ads Roku will be able to show on your Home Screen and screensaver. Your ad preferences are immediately saved and will be applied to all streaming devices connected to your Roku account.

• Note: Ad preferences can only be used if Personalized Ads is enabled.

For additional information, please check it here: How to manage ad preferences.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cyberstoic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your kind reply.  But I think that you are misunderstanding my intent.  To add items to my menu, for example "Agatha all Along" is unconscionable.  The menu is mine, for my concenience to make using the device easy, for me.  It is not for you to add items to the menu, for your benefit.  

I have no problem with ads on the Roku Channel, it is how the shows are paid for.  I do, however, have a serious problem with you feeling like you can do whatever you like with my homescreen.  I do not want to limit the type of ads, I want them removed.  The home screen is mine.  I do not want my little grandchildren seeing things that are inappropriate for them because your ad guys need to make a few extra pence off me.

Perhaps that makes it more clear.

0 Kudos
kgman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have already made these changes in the settings.  This does not remove offensive content from the lower left of the screen, nor did it remove the item from Home List.

You do not have to curate which advertising I want to see.  I don't want to see any of it.  Where is the setting to remove ALL advertising from the Home screen?  In fact where is the setting to block ALL changes to the Home screen?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.