Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jyuma
Reel Rookie

Right side of the screen goes dim

Jump to solution

I've owned my 65" TCL Roku TV for 5 years.  A few months ago I noticed the right side of the screen was a little darker than the left but still very watchable.  Fast forward to today and the entire right side of the screen is almost too dark to see.  I've done all the things people suggest but nothing has fixed it.  Here's the rub... when the TV first comes on the TCL Roku splash screen is fine... full brightness all around.  It isn't until the Home screen displays that the right side goes dim.  Also... on occasion the problem changes from right side dim, to middle dim, and even at times left side dim... and then on rare occasions the problem goes away entirely and the full screen has normal brightness.  

Don't let the occasional variations mislead you though... 98% of the time the right of the screen is too dark to see. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Right side of the screen goes dim

Jump to solution

@Jyuma 

Thanks for the post.

This sounds like a hardware issue. Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The side that goes dark do you have speaker or some magnet field close to the tv? Sounds your tv has to be degaussed?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jyuma 

Thanks for the post.

This sounds like a hardware issue. Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jyuma
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's a flat screen LCD... besides, there are no magnets anywhere near.  And lets not forget that the Splash screen displays fine with full brightness until the Home Screen comes up.  That's when the right side goes dim.  

0 Kudos
Jyuma
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

A hardware issue that doesn't effect the splash screen and sometimes goes away?  That doesn't sound plausible, although I suppose anything is possible.

0 Kudos
JADavis
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi. I have the same problem, same side of the screen.  I contacted TCL through their chat and we spent at least a half hour trying to troubleshoot and fix the issue, with no success.  They were supposed to send me an email so I could send over a picture of the TV screen and I never got one, so I'm here to see if anyone has any clue as to how to fix this.  

0 Kudos
Persvades

Jump to solution

I just unplugged it for about 20 seconds and it fixed it. Still has me uneasy though, I've only had this TV for 3 years I shouldn't be having problems with it

LeesaRn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The exact same thing started happening on mine at 1 1/2 years.  I actually tried everything possible to fix.  Nothing.  Gets worse every time I turn it on.  I actually unplugged it for the past 6 months.  I am moving soon and packing up all my stuff.  My good tvs are moving to new place ahead of me.  I plugged in this ridiculously poor quality tcl just to get me through the next 5 weeks.  Not even sure it will last that long before it becomes completely unwatchable.  I am going to toss it and just go back to my dependable Samsung and consider it a lesson learned.  Will never buy a Tcl again. 
Roku should definitely reconsider who they partner with in the future.

0 Kudos
aberteam
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The right side of my 43S403 TCL/Roku TV has the same dimmer right side issue.  I did do all the suggested fixes but non worked. The only thing TCL tech support said to me is that because my purchase year is 2017,  I don't have warranty coverage.  Looking at the multiple online posts, such as this one, I'm wondering if this is a widespread hardware problem?  I've had several different brand flat screen tvs over the years and this is the first problem I've encountered.

N8theGr8
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. It has gotten progressively worse and now the whole screen just dims almost like it's flashing to the point where it's not usable when it starts doing it. Disconnecting the power source fixes it sometimes but not every time. 

0 Kudos