Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Misstami76

Remote turning Roku TV off and on with any button on remote

Jump to solution

My remote was working fine earlier today. I have a TCL Roku TV and all of a sudden this afternoon remote only turn the TV on and off with every button on the remote. I've reset the TV, taking the batteries out of the remote, followed every help thing I could find online to try and fix the problem. I've put new batteries in there, and I'm able to control the TV from my phone. But every button on the Roku remote continues to just turn the TV on and off and does nothing else

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote turning Roku TV off and on with any button on remote

Jump to solution

@Misstami76 

Thanks for the post.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Misstami76 

Thanks for the post.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Harambe2016
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have this same issue but I have a Roku Ultra connected to Sony Bravia TV. This seems to be a Roku remote/roku issue rather than a TV issue. 

Tried replacing batteries and re-pairing the remote

Please advise. 

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I turned the TV off and came home a little later and pressed the power button on the remote for my Roku Express 4K+ then tried to use the arrow buttons to select a app to watch and it immediately turned my TV off then back on then with every button I pressed the same thing happened. The only thing I can do when this happens is press a button and hold it until my TV powers back on then my remote works fine until I press the power button then it starts all over again 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @WallopingFern12

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

We would recommend starting with the troubleshooting steps suggested in this Support link: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
CapitolQT

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D and @RokuDanny-R I'm using a Streaming Stick bought in 2021 on a Panasonic TV. Each posted experience has different factors so it can't be the remote.

Nothing on the above linked troubleshooting page or the subsequent “more detailed” troubleshooting page addresses this particular issue. 

As a “Roku employee”, you should know that before routing customers there. This isn't some random discussion board. THIS IS ROKU! Where else should we seek help? 

We have a simple question. Is our remote broken or isn't there a way to fix this? Those of us who spent $50+ on a remote (or don't want to now) would like to know. Thank you.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@CapitolQT

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried re-pairing your Roku remote to your Panasonic TV to see if you are still experiencing the issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mapf
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Remote just randomly stopped working while we were watching TV. My remote has no pairing button. I notice that as soon as I place the (New) batteries in, and turn the tv on with any random button, the red light on the TV starts going crazy, randomly flashing. I can’t find how to fix this problem anywhere. Found this thread on my search to an answer only to be DOUBLE DISAPPOINTED, bc none of the employees are giving any help, other than sending a link to FAQ and answers that don’t solve anything! Had to download the Roku remote app that will charge me to use it, in 3 days. Hoping SOMEONE can tell me what to do before I have to pay for a remote app 😒. I had to take the batteries out of the control, bc the TV won’t stay on. The remote is just sending out the power button command without even prompting it. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Mapf

Thanks for the post.

Is the TV a Roku TV and is the remote that which came with the TV? 

If so, Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV on our Products page.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
UTStreamer

Jump to solution

For me, it worked to detach the power cord from my streaming stick, wait 5 seconds and reattach the power cord. Wait until the Home Screen appears on your TV and then hold down the pairing button (behind the battery cover and below your batteries) to repair the remote.

Simply trying to repair the remote didn’t work for me without disconnecting the power to the streaming stick first.

0 Kudos