Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Mode No physical remote

We just moved and as soon as we went to turn our TV on, recovery mode came up. We had been using the app remote because our toddlers lost the physical remote. However, because it’s new WiFi, we can’t use the app and due to the recovery screen we can’t pair a new remote. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Recovery Mode No physical remote

@rmlamarque0604 

"...because our toddlers lost the physical remote."

How come everyone always blames their kids when this occurs?  For some unexplained reason, no adult here has ever lost a Roku remote.

------

Generally, the easiest method is to try purchasing a universal streaming remote compatible with RokuTVs. (Some $10-15 ones available at Walmart, Target, etc).

Otherwise, if you can remember what your old SSID (network name) and password was for your old wifi connection (how you used to connect to network from previous home), you can enter/setup those credentials into your new router settings and should be able to reconnect. (The Roku devices remember the last known network it was connected to.)  Same procedure can be used to connect to a mobile hotspot - just use your old credentials when naming the hotspot.

If the "Recovery Mode" of your RokuTV is actually equivalent to or regarded as a Factory Reset, then this procedure will not work, and unfortunately, a physical compatible RokuTV remote will be needed to complete setup or proceed through the Recovery Mode. (The remote will use IR commands to communicate with TV).

If your RokuTV has started to initiate Recovery Mode, then likely a remote will be needed.  If only the Recovery Mode option has been presented, but not initiated, possibility that you can use the above procedure and then use the mobile app remote again to exit this option.

(https://support.roku.com/article/360044050174)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

All I know is when it turns on the first thing that comes on is recovery mode and we can’t navigate out of that screen

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@rmlamarque0604 

I am thinking the cheap universal streaming RokuTV compatible remote may be the best/easiest method for you in this scenario if you do not want to try the router/network technique.

If you need something immediately, I would probably just go to Walmart, Target, or Best Buy and see what they have on the shelves (just make sure compatible with RokuTVs).

Otherwise, you can search Amazon, Walmart, Ebay, etc. and see if you can find either a direct replacement remote for your RokuTV or a suitable universal streaming remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

Got it handled using the reset button 

willwarn15

how bruh

0 Kudos