Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patreon App on ROKU TV Not Working Correctly

Our Patreon app opens just fine. There is no where to sign in and all the video boxes are blank. Have tried deleting and reloading to no avail and can't find anything online. Would appreciate any help! Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Patreon App on ROKU TV Not Working Correctly

Is it this one?

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/defdbaa6fbbaf606f25439241e09a01d/patreon-secrets

If so, it's a "Direct Publisher" app and those have been sunset.  I don't know if any still work, but they'll all be removed on the 18th.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
faceless
Reel Rookie

Is this why I cannot find Patreon on Roku now? There is no longer a search feature that I can find to search apps via Roku on my tv, can still search online. 

I have been a loyal Roku member for over a decade and taking away our ability to search what we want, not what THEY want will make me look for something better. I hope I am wrong and I can still search for my own apps but am worried at this point. 

So if I am understanding what you said... Roku is removing all apps created by the Publishers?? Didn't Apple, Youtube, etc... all create their own apps? Just looking for clarification. THX

0 Kudos
renojim

@faceless, where are you located?  I don't know why, but search is only available in certain regions/countries.  However, in general if you can search in the online Channel Store for your region (shown in the bottom right corner of the webpage), then it should be available on your Roku device.

"Direct-publisher" apps were apps that didn't require any programming.  Roku created the app that many, many, many "publishers" used to get their content on Roku devices by simply providing a list of videos and doing some minor customization of how the app looked.  I can only imagine that it was abused and that's why they were removed, but it's only a  guess.  Roku never reports why they do anything.

The vast majority of apps on Roku devices are created by the providers of the apps.  Roku has a few of their own, but you can see who the developer is for any app by checking its description in the Channel Store.

faceless
Reel Rookie

@renojim - I am currently in Denver, Co but have been traveling for business as this is not my main area of operations. 

That would make sense that Roku would pull apps they helped create for "creators" ... I would think Patreon would have created their own app but who knows. 

Thank you for your reply, it does help me understand. I had no idea the area I am in would determine if Roku (via streaming box) would remove the option to search apps. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@faceless, anywhere in the US should be fine assuming you didn't bring your Roku device here from another country.  It's when you cross international borders that the problems begin.  Your location is determined by your IP address and it's far from an exact science.