Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network connection 2 times with different mac address

So while having another wifi related issue with my wifes phone not working  on the network i open the xfinity app and before i get to her phone i notice 2 tcl roku devices connected to my home network. I had priviously set the tv up on a static ip and reserved that ip in the router, so as i look at the connection details i see that both devices have the same static ip address and it is correct as far as the networking setting go, as i scroll down i see that they both have different  mac addresses. As soon as I pause the device connected with the wrong Mac address my wife's phone starts to work again, and I mean as soon as I hit pause device her phone beeps with a notification alert. We live in the sticks and cell coverage is all but nonexistent without wifi connection, so the 2 seem to have a connection. For months we have been getting hacked with ghosts network signals that mirror our every setting  in channel bandwidth, frequency rssi value always 1 of the ghost signals 1 point below and the other 1 point higher then our own network. Our data plan gives us up to 1200 download and 35 upload and after running speed tests someday have had 120 or less download and even higher on upload. 

I am not a technical person have just started to learn the subject after months of cyber harassment. Anyone with ideas or insite please speak up

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Network connection 2 times with different mac address

@Willclemiii 

Need a little clarification on some of what you wrote.

1.  "... i notice 2 tcl roku devices connected to my home network."

Do you have two Roku devices or two TCL RokuTVs or no Roku devices.  What are the model numbers of the Rokus that you do own/have. You can find this info in Settings/System/About.

2. "I had priviously set the tv up on a static ip and reserved that ip in the router, so as i look at the connection details i see that both devices have the same static ip address and it is correct as far as the networking setting go, as i scroll down i see that they both have different  mac addresses."

Some routers use static IP and Address Reservation interchangeably for end user convenience although they are really different things.  Regarding the Roku device, you really want to only use Address Reservation if your router provides you both options.

For troubleshooting, i would remove all static IP settings and Address Reservations and verify that your DHCP server is set to "Auto".  The DHCP server of a router is what handles the assignment of LAN IP addresses to your connected devices. (both wireless and ethernet connected devices).

Each MAC address should be assigned its own LAN IP address, so I think you have a conflict in your Address Reservation or with the DHCP server.  This is why pausing one connected device allows the other device (your phone) to start working again.  If you assign all devices to use one Reserved Address (address reservation is based on MAC assignment), then the DHCP server is unable to assign any device to that LAN IP address when in use by another connected device.

Again, remove all address reservations and any static IP changes you made and see if allowing the DHCP server to automatically assign LAN IP addresses resolves these issues.

If so, then carefully assign the MAC address of each device to individual desired LAN IP addresses in the applicable pool of available addresses. (Each MAC address needs its own LAN IP address).

3. "For months we have been getting hacked with ghosts network signals that mirror our every setting..."

If you are using a Roku Voice Remote with your RokuTV/Roku device, there is a hidden network that the remote uses to communicate with the Roku.  You can see this hidden network with wifi analyzers and perhaps the Xfinity app.  This may be what you are seeing.

-----

Feel free to post an update and include model numbers of the Roku devices, the router, and any screenshots of settings may help to see what you are seeing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Jagoff1941
Reel Rookie

Re: Network connection 2 times with different mac address

Is it possible that what you're seeing is one MAC address for wireless connectivity and one address for ethernet? Your Roku device may very well have two (or more) legitimate MAC addresses.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.