Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GunnerWRX
Channel Surfer

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Anyone tried doing a factory reset?  Does it restore back to the original Roku OS version that came in the box?

0 Kudos
Pintweaks
Binge Watcher

It does not revert back to the original OS, no. 

Frankly, I didn’t have this issue for months. I kept seeing others still having the issue, but for some reason it had stopped for me. Until… 

Months ago, I stopped using my Harmony Companion (remote and Smart Hub) to switch between input sources. I guess, in retrospect, that is what solved the issue for me. I tried using my Harmony setup again the other day because I got a new Chromecast to get around a different Roku bug with YouTube, and boom - the smoothing issue returned the first time I switched sources with the Harmony remote. I decided to put the Harmony setup away again and just manually switch sources, and I haven’t had the smoothing issue come back yet. 

I have no idea what the Harmony remote has to do with anything or how it could be triggering the issue, and I don’t have the energy to troubleshoot it - all I know is when I don’t use it, I don’t see the smoothing issue. 

0 Kudos
Icicle22
Reel Rookie

Does the Harmony Remote use IR to send a signal to the TV or is it using some type RF or CEC through HDMI? I'm not sure how this is happening for you either. When you change sources with the Roku Remote you have to go to the home screen and select "HDM1" or "HDMI2" or whatever you have renamed them, correct? How could the harmony remote simulate choosing an input when there are no dedicated input buttons on the remote for it to emulate? I guess I don't understand exactly so I too am curious how it works.

0 Kudos
Pintweaks
Binge Watcher

It uses IR, as it has an IR hub that you have to place in front of your entertainment center. I’m not sure how the Harmony changes input sources on the TCL, but it’s not necessarily “emulating” functions on the remote. There are things you can do with the Harmony remote that aren’t buttons on the Roku remote, like changing inputs with one button. 

You set a series of events when setting up the Harmony remote through the app on your smartphone. For the Chromecast, for instance, I set my TCL to switch to HDMI 1, and set the volume to be controlled through my Yamaha receiver, etc.

It’s fascinating to me that it seemed to trigger the motion smoothing issue again, and while I’m not happy that I can’t use the Harmony remote anymore, I’m glad that I at least know the issue won’t return as long as I don’t use it (hopefully, anyway.) 

0 Kudos
AC3
Channel Surfer

It did for me, which was the only way to resolve this.  Unfortunately, the stock OS has different picture controls, which sucks.  When will Roku resolve this stupid issue?

0 Kudos
jarredduq
Channel Surfer

I ended up just purchasing a new Roku Ultra (2020 model) and running it through my AVR, so I don't have to switch inputs on the TV.  This is with my 75R615.  This has worked great for months now.

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

@jarredduq wrote:

I ended up just purchasing a new Roku Ultra (2020 model) and running it through my AVR, so I don't have to switch inputs on the TV.  This is with my 75R615.  This has worked great for months now.

You bring up a good point.  I wish they would make fewer "Smart" TVs.  I don't really see the point of them given that you can buy separate streaming devices like the Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4K, various Roku models, various Firestick models, and a few others, all of which are arguably better than any built-in streaming software.  I have several Firesticks including a couple of the new 4K models, none of which cost me more than $50 and all of which are better than the built-in streaming stuff on all my TCL Roku TVs.  I also have an Apple TV 4K which is pretty expensive but is also significantly better than the Roku stuff built in to my TCL TVs. 

I'd much rather they take a few hundred $$$ off the price of the TV and let me pick my own streaming device. 

But because I paid for a "smart" TV, I do expect it to work as advertised and I've found uses for the built-in streaming stuff.

0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Consider that the reason they are selling you a "Smart TV" is not for your convenience, but rather so that they can acquire and sell a full set of information about your viewing habits.  No smarts, no saleable information.

0 Kudos
ResetPhil

As of June 2021, the R635 still has motion smoothing even when all settings are set to off. If it hasn't been fixed by this point, I doubt it will be. It's a bummer. I really like the TV otherwise. The slight soap opera effect mainly occurs during camera pans and dolly shots. Otherwise, the TV image is above average. But every time I notice the faint soap opera effect, it takes me out of the view experience. 

0 Kudos
lopew43
Reel Rookie

I offered the TV final week and my motion smoothing settings do now not do something. I nonetheless get soap opera impact after turning it off page. Weird thing is as soon as and a while/randomly it does flip off, but my screen looks darker.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.