Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mch2smw
Reel Rookie

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Sorry I wasn't clear.  A factory reset fixes the problem but it returns in a seemingly random amount of time.

tsunami231
Roku Guru

Not what I want to do but I will try that

@mch2smw wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear.  A factory reset fixes the problem but it returns in a seemingly random amount of time.

Not what I want to do specially if it windup coming happen again, Action smoothing or what it called from tv tv i hate, and when it on i know cause i cant stand what does

0 Kudos
K-LAWN
Channel Surfer

Costco will absolutely take it back. No questions asked. I'm considering doing a AMEX chargeback and advise others to do the same. TCL/Roku sold us a defective TV and have not fixed it after a year. I'll stick with Sony and Samsung for all my future TV Purchases. This bug is unacceptable and downright laughable. 

Flocke

User from Germany here.

Bought a new TCL this black Friday - a german model, the european versions are different from the american ones, but I am having the same issues as everybody else here.

Been desperately trying to find solutions on the Internet. I have all motion smoothing and all filters turned off, yet still I get the smooth playback. I'm not using any of the apps, just HDMI Video playback in either 4K or 1080p. Problems happens in both cases but seems worse with upscaled 1080p video.

What's weird is that I have periods where the motion smoothing does not happen. Like I can watch a movie and it is fine for 20 minutes and then suddenly it goes into smoothing mode for a few seconds - to then go back to regular playback. There is no logic to it at all.

The model I have is using an older firmware, seems to not have been getting a regular update. Firmware dates back to February this year - which seems to be even before most people here encountered the problem?

Of course I also have my color settings resetting all the time. Just a lovely experience overall. Thankfully I can still return my set until mid January. Gonna wait a few more weeks and then return it to get a Sony.

0 Kudos
turbomission
Channel Surfer

I've been having this issue with my TCL 75-inch 75R615. It's happened probably 3 or 4 times over the last six months. It last happened a couple months ago, and then again last night.

Every time I am able to fix the issue by doing a "soft" reset using the following key sequence:

Home 5 times
Up 1 time
Rewind 2 times
Fast Forward 2 times

It takes a minute or two to reboot, and then the soap opera effect is gone.

0 Kudos
tsunami231
Roku Guru

ingRe: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

is the same as going into adavanced setting>power> system restart?

Seriously I am system restarting/ pull power and hold power button down 3~4 times week since the stupid 9.4.0

And what infuratiing is the action smoothing is "off" on ever single "picture" setting on every single input yet some how get glitched on.

Forget the fact the gamemode bug from 9.3.0 is still there that require system restart to fix and forget the HDMI issue 9.4.0 introduced along with issue of picture setting getting defaulted and no setting can be changed, till system restart, which very similar to gamemode bug cause gamemode can be switch from on/off and vis versa and have no effect till the tv is restarted if you switch gamemode from on to off the screen should flicker that how you know it being enabled and disabled, when it glitched it dont flicker

turbomission
Channel Surfer

Re: ingRe: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

I don't know if it's the same as choosing "Restart" in the menu. Next time I can try.

I just feel bad for the people who don't know what is going on and have it stuck on. And I hope it's something that never gets permanently stuck on, even after a reset. I wonder if it's something I should report now while my TV is still under warranty?

0 Kudos
tsunami231
Roku Guru

if your tv is under warrent from manufactur you can see what they say, there claims by some people that these problems dont happen diffrent revisions of mainboard.

I have no clue how true that is.

There were claim in thread about Gamemode breaking that when the guy had tech come out for his tv they replace the "board" and it stop having the issue, which lead some people to think it only happen with Board "A" but not "B"

Either way there many people have the issue for it not to be software issue,

My tv's is long out warrenty so TCL wont do anything, and seeing my problems are coming from software, I have zero choice but to wait till ROKU get there act together. I wont buy another roku tv or device though cause I have 3 tv with all these issue. since 9.3.0 and added issue 9.4.0 gave

I do not enjoy restarting my tv 3+ time week and waiting 6month for software to fix one issue, but instead fixings that issue (gamemode glitch cause that happen still in 9.4.0) it add 3 more issue to list

0 Kudos
turbomission
Channel Surfer

Wow, three times a week would be annoying. Mine seems to go a month or two without it happening. Was it always that frequent, or has it accelerated?

120inna55
Binge Watcher

Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

@turbomission wrote:

Wow, three times a week would be annoying. Mine seems to go a month or two without it happening. Was it always that frequent, or has it accelerated?

I think it's accelerated since 9.4.0.

I suspect doing a system restart is essentially clearing the cache/non-volatile memory which is what unplugging for an extended time (or unplugging then holding down the physical power button on the set for about 10 seconds while it's unplugged).*  There are probably accumulating errors with the updates and the engineers need to do some clean-up.  I imagine the software fix is simple. The problem is convincing them there's a problem.

* Factory reset will, of course, accomplish this as well, but I think it's overkill.  However, there have been some in this thread that claim the only thing that helps them is the factory reset.  I won't presume to challenge that.