Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bodhidan
Channel Surfer

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

I'm having issues, Only started recently where motion smoothing is always active  but the setting is greyed out on all in-app streaming and I am unable to turn on natural cinema (greyed out). This is the case for all streaming channels- Disney plus, Netflix, Plex, etc., etc.

Roku TV 2121X

model TCL 65R615-CA

SN YS00DX685591

SW 9.4.0 build 4190-30

Device ID FW291D685591

0 Kudos
Grsig
Channel Surfer

Yep, happens 100% of the time with streaming apps, and then doesn't go away until the tv is shut off at least overnight.

If I call up the menu, the picture goes back to normal as long as the menu is up. But the second you close it, the motion smoothing starts again.

Kind of sucks that the smart functions of my smart TV are now useless.

plantbasedgamer
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R 

The Action Smoothing issue has hit my set again, but this time only in streaming apps. It does not occur on HDMI inputs as of this writing. Only way to resolve the issue is to manually restart the set. 

• TCL 65" 6-Series (65R615) 
  • Serial Number: YS00K0322229
  • Device ID: FW291K322229
  • Software: 9.4.0 - build 4190-30
  • Specific Channels: Issue has occurred on at least Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and Peacock from what has been watched on the set. I assume it's all channels. 
  • Tracker ID: 29-482-114. 
  • The issue was on 9.3.0 across all HDMI inputs and channels. Previous builds of 9.4.0 resolved the issue, but this issue came back as of a few days ago. 

At this point, Action Smoothing just needs to be removed completely. If anyone complains, tell them they're watching television wrong. 

120inna55
Binge Watcher

@plantbasedgamer wrote:

@RokuDanny-R 

...Only way to resolve the issue is to manually restart the set. ...

Do you mean it resolves for you just by physically power cycling the set (via remote or pressing the power button on the set)?  Or, by restarting via the software under settings?

plantbasedgamer
Binge Watcher

Based upon my issues with 9.3, I just (naturally) go into Settings to restart the television every time I turn it on to watch something.

I wish I didn’t have to do that, but at least that resolves the issue temporarily until the next time one has to turn on the television. 

Bodhidan
Channel Surfer

Unfortunatly, hard resetting TV doesn't correct for me even temporarily. 

0 Kudos
120inna55
Binge Watcher

I've had this TV for 6 months, and until 1 week ago, I'd never had this issue.  1 week ago, I did a factory reset to resolve it.  I haven't gone into the apps since then.  The TV's been power-cycled daily (we turn it off when we go to bed and turn it back on every morning).  It's been doing ok until today.  The TV had been off all day.  When I turned it on just a few minutes ago, the motion smoothing was back.  Just like before.  This time I did the "system restart" through the software (Settings-->System-->Power-->System Restart).  When it rebooted, all was well.

I'm happy that I don't have to do a factory reset to get things back to normal.  I'm very discouraged, however, that the issue returned in a week's time.  I wish ROKU would resolve this obvious software issue.

mch2smw
Reel Rookie

Same issue here.  It started about 10 days ago and nothing I do helps.  I bought the TV 10 months ago at Costco...what are the chances Costco will take back a 10 month old TV without the original box?

0 Kudos
120inna55
Binge Watcher

@mch2smw wrote:

...nothing I do helps...

@mch2smw, when you say nothing helps, do you mean the issue keeps returning (as with all of us), or that you can never make the motion smoothing go away even temporarily?  

I've seen a couple people here comment that "nothing works", but I want to clarify.  It would seem most of us can temporarily resolve it with a system reboot or by unplugging the TV for a while. (a nuisance, but at least retains settings).  Worst case scenario, some have had to do a full factory reset, but at least they get rid of the issue for a while.

0 Kudos
tsunami231
Roku Guru

I have 9.4.0 on my tv and action smoothing it turned off on ALL inputs on ALL there pictures settings and I swear action smoothing off is really "low" action smoothing seem bugged since i had  bug that randomly resets picture settings. since then it been like this,

Atlest in gamemode on my pc and consoles this is disabled cause gamemode disable all that. but serisouly

does ROKU not test the freaking updates. I have dont everything system restart power cycle ( pull power and hold power button for 60 second) went threw all the mode low/med/high all do what they should but low does not sorta of factory reset and when do mangage to get to turn of it seem to just happen again when i switch from console/pc back to  dish/stream inputs

7118x

84-486-306

I cant stand watch tv since this actionmode start acting up

9.4.0 update is mess

0 Kudos