Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CDizzle
Reel Rookie

Re: Update available but auto updated did not find it. Manually asked it to.

So is a factory reset what fixes it? Won’t be buying a tcl after this. It’s been such a waste of time. 

0 Kudos
120inna55
Binge Watcher

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

I bought this TV (75R615) from Best Buy June 10, 2020.  It's been flawless until last night.  I was aware of the imposed soap opera effect issue because I heard about it another forum, but it had not impacted me until last night. 

I received an email on November 14 from Roku stating my device has recently received a software update.  I didn't check the TV's  SW version at the time because, everything worked the way I expected it.

I use only 1 input on the TV (HDMI 3) w/ARC enabled.  That's my AVR, so I don't cycle through inputs at all.  That may be why I've not experienced the issue.  I also have only used 4K UHD a couple times when I first got the TV.  I streamed it from one of the apps just to see some demos.  Otherwise, I've not upgraded my AVR yet, so I don't have 4K content.  I have a SHIELD TV (android streaming box), but again, it's going through the AVR, so no 4K content even though the SHIELD is capable.

I said all that to say this.  Last night before turning off the TV, I noticed what I believed to be SOE just before shutting it down for the night.  This was during a broadcast commercial and it was fleeting.  This morning when I turned on the TV, the SOE was apparent and everything was way too bright.  

Like everyone else in this thread, my settings did not reflect what I was seeing, and changing the settings did not impact interpolation.

I hadn't gone through this thread in its entirety, so I did a full factory reset.  After going through the tedious setup process again, my picture is back to normal.  Leaving the internet off is not an option for me because I need to change the gamma via the app.  As soon as I finished the reset, the SW version is 9.4.0 build 4190-30.

I'm assuming this means the problem persists on 9.4.

0 Kudos
Pintweaks
Binge Watcher

I’ve yet to encounter the issue since the update, but I haven’t been switching to other inputs a lot lately and mostly staying within the smart apps.

That said, the easiest fix I found when it was happening was to turn off, unplug, press physical power button five times (this clears cache, I was told by Roku) plug in, turn on. It worked 100% of the time and I didn’t have to go nearly as much setup as a factory reset would cause. 

MassAwesomeOne
Binge Watcher

Just a simple reboot is working for me right now still. Infuriating that this is still happening though. This TV is less than a year old and I’m already shopping for another one because of this. 

0 Kudos
K-LAWN
Channel Surfer

Factory resetting does not roll back the firmware. You will still be on 9.4 when the TV enters the initialization stage. That was the case for me. 

0 Kudos
K-LAWN
Channel Surfer

Also, I can confirm that the issue persists on the latest firmware 9.4 Model 6516. I've also noticed that not only is motion smoothing enabled but our color settings are overwritten as well. The picture becomes much brighter and more saturated. Not the calibrated movie setting that I've chosen. At this point, I don't expect it ever to be resolved. This TV is two years old and it seems like that if the fix was simple, it would have happened. I wonder if it's tied to a hardware fail safe that triggers when the TV software crashes. Hence, why a reset fixes the issue. I bought this TV for the Picture quality. I use an Apple TV for all my media apps. I really miss the days when TVs were simple and the menus provided low level control of the TVs hardware. It seems the Roku's Operating System is deeply flawed. 

0 Kudos
Emcclure

Re: Update available but auto updated did not find it. Manually asked it to.

Factory Reset did not fix my 6 series 55.  Extremely disappointed.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are still experiencing an issue with motion smoothing on your Roku TV, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-were you experiencing this issue before the latest OS update? did you recall if you saw this when you were on the OS 9.3 update?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JoeFair1977
Reel Rookie

Even that hasnt worked for me.  I did a full reset and never connected to internet.  The soap opera bull**bleep** is back after playing some Hulu content. 

0 Kudos
K-LAWN
Channel Surfer

Could you elaborate on the "not updating" part? When  I factory reset, I'm still on the latest firmware. Doesn't seem like there's a way to roll back the firmware. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.