Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karlkerschl
Reel Rookie

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Thanks, @dkirby ! That worked. We'll see how long it lasts.

0 Kudos
AC3
Channel Surfer

The only way to fix this issue without having it come back. is to revert to factory software and then never update the software.  I don't use the Roku functionality of the TV, so it's a decent temporary fix for me. That obviously does not help people (probably most who own this tv) who want to use the built in Roku.  Also, by reverting to stock software, the picture setting controls are different from those found in more recent updates.  I'm not sure whether there's a quality difference in the picture based on the newer controls. That is the main problem for me with this issue.  

Can someone from TCL please chime in and confirm that they are working on resolving this bug?? At the end of the day it's crazy that TCL would let this bug persist. A bug that permanently engages high motion smoothing essentially ruins the tv.  If you care at all about picture quality you have motion smoothing turned off (or maybe to low?).  And if you spent the extra $$ on this model vs. the 400 series, then you value the picture quality.

0 Kudos
Sydnic

@dkirby I found this temp solution worked for me as well.

This issue only started for me after I had switched inputs and started streaming content through the Roku Apple TV app.

We use an Xbox One and it's apps to stream content: Netflix/Amazon/Disney+ and the Oneguide App to watch live TV though our Fibe Cable Box connected to the Xbox One so we typically never have to switch inputs. About the only time we would switch inputs was to play the Nintendo Switch which is connected to another HDMI input on the TV.
But as soon as I switched inputs to watch Apple TV through Roku I've had this issue- which happed 1 day ago.
Hopefully they will get this corrected soon via a software patch and get it out ASAP.

TV : TCL 6 Series 65" R615 4K|HDR|Dolby

0 Kudos
MassAwesomeOne
Binge Watcher

@AC3 How does one revert the software? I’ve performed a factory reset for it to still show up as version 9.3.0. You also have to connect the TV to the internet for the initial setup of all the inputs as it is the only way to set the white balance and color management system on the TV. After that it can be disconnected. 

0 Kudos
Pintweaks
Binge Watcher

I would use my Xbox One for streaming content as well, but the built-in Roku apps look far sharper and the HDR for Netflix and others looks completely washed out on the Xbox One. I’ve searched for solutions and it seems it’s a common issue with no fix as of yet.

Also, as far as I’ve tried, there’s no way to revert the software when doing a factory reset. As the comment above mine states, a factory reset maintains the 9.3.0 update, which is the version that started this issue.

For now, what I’ve been doing when I switch inputs is immediately check the color temperature setting - if I switch from warm to cool and there’s no change, I know that the smoothing problem is back. If that happens, I unplug and press the power button (on the tv unit itself) 10 times, plug back in, turn on, and the smoothing issue stops... until the next time. It seems completely random when the issue returns. Sometimes I can switch inputs 10 times and no problem, then it comes back. Other times, it’s the very next time I switch inputs and it’s back.

I really hope this is fixed soon because it’s beyond frustrating, and I haven’t the option to return my TV. 

0 Kudos
Prest208
Reel Rookie

This might sound crazy. But I just found a fix.  I just switched to guest mode. And guess what. No more action smoothing.  Hope it last 

0 Kudos
Doofus
Reel Rookie

Still no update on this? It would be great to see @RokuDanny-R  confirm this is being actively investigated and whether a fix is forthcoming.

My 55R615 has not shown a recurrence of the motion smoothing issue since I factory reset and kept it disconnected from the internet - over a month now.

In my initial post on this thread, I mentioned the issue occurred after I downloaded apps (Cineplex, Dolby) from the Roku store. This was probably a couple of weeks after purchasing the TV. I suspect this is somehow related. Can anyone here confirm they had the motion smoothing issue and had no apps installed?

Even though I have a FireStick, on which to load my streaming services. I'd still like the issue addressed so I can make full use of the TV. Particularly since a poster here said the Roku apps offer better HDR support - a major reason for getting this TV. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Doofus 

Thanks for the post.

If you read my previous post, I requested information from users if they are experiencing issues.

If you haven't already, can you please provide us with the following information:
-brand Roku TV and model number
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-is there a specific title or content that this is happening with?
-can you provide steps on what you are doing when you see this issue?
-please provide a tracker ID when this issue occurs (A tracker ID can be generated by pressing the Home button 5x, followed by the Back button 5x when you see the issue occurs)

Once we have this information, I will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MassAwesomeOne
Binge Watcher

Just got the issue again. Now, restarting the TV will not fix the issue for built-in apps like Netflix. I will probably just junk this thing at this point. 

Model: TCL 65R615

Serial: YS00PF359128

Device ID: FW291P359128

OS Version: 9.3.0 build 4194-30 (big surprise there)

Occurs on all channels and inputs, but resetting is usually a temp fix ONLY for HDMI sources  Built in apps are stuck this way  

This isn’t with specific content. Happens on any and everything.

Going to settings > power > reset

After trying for around 10min, I was unable to get a tracker ID. Nothing happens on screen when pressing Home 5x followed Back 5x

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@MassAwesomeOne 

Thanks for providing us with your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos