Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iamsnowbear
Channel Surfer

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Hi @RokuDanny-R 

As I and @brdcst507 @marcusgibbon @GrillMouster have mentioned, this motion smoothing issue has only come up recently with the new software update. I always turn off all those settings, and they are still off but the action smoothing is now happening. I have reset my TV to factory settings after doing all of the standard troubleshooting and the problem is still a issue. The only way I have gotten the problem to go away in real-time is by bringing up the options menu by hitting * on the remote. When the menu is open the smoothing is off but once you turn the menu off the smoothing goes back on.  Some shows you do not notice it as much as older shows due to frame rates they were originally shot in, But on every application the smoothing is on.

This is my second Roku TV. The first TCL I had, crapped out in 11 months due to the black screen error. I returned it for a Sharp Roku TV because I liked the roku menu I have become accustomed to over the years.

Sadly 8 months in this TV now is having issues, which we can all see is from software updates. All of our TV's worked fine before.

My bedroom TV uses just the Roku 3 Hub as an input and has had no issues. I think moving forward I will be buying a different non "Roku TV" and just use the hubs instead as those seem to be pretty solid. TV's still need some work.  

Below are my TV details,   is there an easy way that myself and  @brdcst507 @marcusgibbon @GrillMouster can just roll back the update on our TV sets to the previous version?we are willing to put in the extra work, I have a hunch that software update  is where the problem is. Can the update be rolled back via USB? 

Thanks! TV details below:

Roku TV: 7225X

Sharp Model: LC-55LBU711U

Serial#: YN0004902179

Software 9.3.0 Build 4194-38

Device ID: JXD960902179

0 Kudos
NeonPhantom
Channel Surfer

Nicky;

I was told they would have mine fixed on August 3rd.  I trusted that and didn't return mine back to best buy.  It's now Sept 13 and even after a couple follow up emails I haven't heard a word from them. So you might be better.servednto just return the tv and purchase something different.  I'm wishing I did.  Which is too bad, I really wanted this tv to be a.success. 

0 Kudos
marcusgibbon
Binge Watcher

You still have 12 month manufacturer's warranty by law. So send it back. I am going to, if it is not fixed. 

NeonPhantom
Channel Surfer

But to where do I send it back? The Best Buy I purchased it, or to TCL? Its a 75" TV .. not the easiest to just toss around the mailroom hahaha

0 Kudos
marcusgibbon
Binge Watcher

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Iamsnowbear 

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I will pass it along to the appropriate team for further investigation. Can you please provide us with a tracker ID of when this issue occurs? (A tracker ID can be generated by pressing the Home button 5x, followed by the Back button 5x when you see the issue occurs)

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
brdcst507
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

Is there any update on fixing this issue? Would love for this to be remedied in the next couple days if possible. Please let us know. Thanks!

0 Kudos
karlkerschl
Reel Rookie

Just bought a TCL-55R617 and I can confirm the same problem. Turned off all motion smoothing options and the effect remains, making anything shot at 24fps (basically any feature film) look awful. This is a deal-breaker. If the Roku software isn't updated with a fix soon I'm going to return it.

0 Kudos
MassAwesomeOne
Binge Watcher

This issue has been around for months with little to no update from TCL. I don’t know how long your return period is, but I would plan on having to return it. I hope it get fixed before you have to make that call but I wouldn’t hold out. 

0 Kudos
dkirby
Reel Rookie

A temporary fix that works for me is going into System >  Power and doing a System Restart.  It only takes a few minutes and seems to work from anywhere to a few days to a few weeks.  I hope TCL/ Roku comes up with a permanent solution soon.