Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Icicle22
Reel Rookie

Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL on OS 10.0

Just got a 2020 TCL 75R635 and I feel like I am experiencing this as well. All motion feature turned off and it still seems to be smoothing out content from my Nvidia Shield. I would agree that on the surface it seems to feel like the "low" setting of the Motion Smoothing control. I am  hesitant to do a factory reset as I have spent a decent amount of time using the IPQ app to dial in the color and I don't want to lose that since I am not sure it would work the same if I have to do it again. 

Is there any news regarding this and what is the latest "best practice" to eliminate this issue?

Oh....and along with this I seem to be having issue where while it is smoothing, it is occasionally freezing for a frame and then skipping forward to catch up. This happens at least 2-3 times in a minutes and sometimes happens like crazy in certain areas. I noticed it the most this past weekend when streaming the new Angelina Jolie film on HBOmax. Every 10-12 second you could see it skip. I wanted to assume it was the stream but when watching it on my older 2018 TCL 6r615 it did not do this at all. And the motion on the older TV looked like film too. The newer TV looks a little too smooth even with everything off.

Ok. Thanks for any help. I really want to get this rectified so I can keep this TV as I got a great deal and there is nothing out there to compete at this price. It was the last one in the store so exchanging is not an option either.

8 REPLIES 8
retro
Binge Watcher

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

The latest RokuOS update has made all the motion smoothing issues suddenly return. It’s very frustrating. 

Even with all motion smoothing options turned OFF, I once again am seeing motion smoothing on 24p content. I wish motion interpolation technology was never invented. 🤦‍♂️ 

I’m about ready to ditch my TV after after owning it for 1 year.

turbomission
Channel Surfer

I don't think doing the hard reset (initiated by a sequence of button presses, and described earlier in the thread) loses your settings. I think it just completely shuts it down and restarts it. I don't lose any of my customized settings like channel lineups, logins, or screensavers. You should try that, and if your TV is like mine you might go months between having the issue.

0 Kudos
Icicle22
Reel Rookie

My TV updated from 9.xx to 10.xx as soon as I logged in for the first time so I cannot say if the issues existed before. Regarding the hard restart via button presses that you mention is described earlier in this thread....any chance you can help me find it? I am searching and I do not see what you are referring to. I don't know if the threads are numbered or not but maybe you could point me to the date? There are a lot of posts. 🙂  Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind. I think I found it. Is this it?

Home 5 times
Up 1 time
Rewind 2 times
Fast Forward 2 times

It takes a minute or two to reboot, and then the soap opera effect is gone.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing motion smoothing issues on your Roku TV after updating the latest OS 10.0, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass the information along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Icicle22
Reel Rookie

Issues disappeared for a few hours after I used the button combo and the TV restarted. Later it popped back up when watching 24P content from Nvidia Shield playing on the panel at 24fps too. It was glorious. Until half way through the filmic looking movie suddenly looked like a home video. I had touched nothing. I rebooted, unplugged and each time I tried it was back to being smoothed out. I even have game mode enabled which greys out the motion smoothing options. 

So......RokuDanny-R, wheredo we provide you the information you are asking about? I could post some of it here but obviously don't want to post serial numbers and such.

thanks. BTW. This morning, after sitting idle for about 10 hours (but plugged in), it seems to be working properly as I popped the same content I was watching last night back on and I could clearly see the judder of glorious 24fps content. I have no idea if it will last and since I have only a week to decide if I am keeping this new TV I'd love to know this is resolvable.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Icicle22

Thanks for the information.

Please feel free to post the requested information that I've asked for. If you feel more comfortable sending that information in a PM (private message), please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Elmo666

I have a TCL Roku Tv (TCL model 43S435, Roku C134X. Software version 10.0.0 - what the **bleep** is this? There is no option for “motion smoothing” yet it is clearly happening on my Netflix/hbo apps from the TV? 

0 Kudos
andmade
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny, 

The unwanted action smoothing had cropped up before, but an update fixed them. With the latest update, they are back for me as well. I primarily see it when switching from my PS5 input (HDMI 1) to the Apple TV input (HDMI2). All of the media played on it will have an extreme action smoothing setting even though the TV shows the setting is off (on both inputs actually, as the PS5 is on game mode). Turning off my TCL and turning it back on fixes it for a bit, but it'll crop back up every few hours after the TV has been off the input for a while and the device has gone to sleep. 

Heres the info requested: 

Model: 7120X / TCL 55R615 

Serial: Don't feel comfortable posting on public forum 

Device ID: FV286G209516

OS version: 10.0.0 build 4195-30

Tracker ID: 16-209-034

0 Kudos