Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Live TV guide causing problems.

@Gmcqueen 

First thing to do is go to Settings/System/About from within your RokuTV and provide the following info (Model Number, Serial number, Device ID, Software Version and build numbers).  

This will help to tailor the potential responses/suggestions and direct you to the proper support as necessary.

-----

It is a little unclear what your issue is.  Need to provide more information when requested, not the same info.  Screenshots would also be helpful to narrow down problem.  Really have to help us "see" what you are seeing sometimes. (use the little camera icon in the response page to attach screenshots).

-----

Focusing on the "widget" for now.  Roku OS 11 by default added a home screen tile/icon  (widget) named "Live TV" to the Home Screen.  Many of us had this tile named "Antenna" or some other name, and perhaps had a different icon image associated with it.  This was overriden with the OS 11 update with the name "LiveTV" and a different icon resembing a guide.

To change the above OTA/Antenna Input, go to Settings/TV Inputs, select "LiveTV" and then "Rename".  You can now choose a different preconfigured name and icon or select a custom name and choose your preferred icon (Set Name and Icon).  

You can also choose to include the Roku Channel Live TV channels (streaming channels) when you select this OTA/Antenna tile from the Home Screen.  By default, this is enabled already.  If you want to hide the streaming channels, go to Settings/TV Inputs/Manage Channels/Hide Streaming Channels.

You can remove the OTA/Antenna tile completely from the Home Screen if you wish from Settings/TV Inputs/LiveTV/[Remove].  However, you will need this Input enabled (on the Home Screen) if you wish to watch OTA/Antenna TV channels.

A recent update to OS 11.5 just changed the EPG guide (the program guide) that users are seeing for their Live TV. (when in OTA/Antenna mode and regardless of whether the streaming channels are hidden or not).  On my Insignia RokuTV, seems to work fine.  Users with other manufacturers of RokuTV are having other miscellaneous issues such as guide info problems and layout problems, but haven't seen any with freezing/crashing problems reported.

-------

See if the following procedure helps fix the freezing/crashing issue you are running into.

1. Remove the LiveTV Input from your RokuTV.

2. Restart the RokuTV. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart)

3. Perform a manual System/Software Update. (Settings/System/Software Update/[Check Now]

4. Enable the LiveTV Input. (Settings/TV Inputs/LiveTV).  Go ahead and rename it and choose different icon if you wish. (will now call this input "Antenna" to keep the instructions clear).

5. Restart your router and network equipment.  Let it connect back to your RokuTV.

6. Scan your Antenna Channels. (Settings/TV Inputs/Antenna/Scan for Antenna Channels).  You can skip the cable channels if you do not need them when Antenna is finished scanning.

7. Enter your Zip Code in Settings/System/Zip Code. (this apparently helps program guide info accuracy).

8. Return to Home Screen, select the Antenna tile and see if the issue is resolved. (converesely, note what is and is not working properly and what you selected at the time that caused the freeze/unwanted behavior).  Don't just scroll around, be deliberate in your selections so you can see/remember what triggered the condition if still not working.

---------

I used to keep the Antenna channels seperate from the Streaming Channels (hide), but because of recent updates to the Guide that allows different filters, I have recently just merged the two and hidden unwanted channels from the lineup.

-------

See in any of the above helps you.  Feel free to post back with more info and details what did, did not work for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Gmcqueen
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the response, but as you will see in the thread, I have responded as requested. I provided the information on my TV. I provided the information by hitting home 5 times and the back button 5 times as requested. I have described exactly what happened and what I have done. I have switched back to antenna TV, I have done a factory reset which by default requires a new channel search.

The problem has not changed, so why would my description of it change?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @Gmcqueen 

Thanks for the posts regarding the experience you are having with the Live TV Guide.

Looking over your responses in this thread, it doesn't look like you've provided us with the information that we have requested.

Please be aware that responding to email notifications from the Community does not post to the Community. Once you have provided us with the information and details that we have inquired about, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gmcqueen
Binge Watcher

Thanks Danny. I did provide screenshots by email. How do I do that here? I don't see an attachment or camera icon. 

0 Kudos
dlb502003
Reel Rookie

how do i get

0 Kudos
Gmcqueen
Binge Watcher

I tried to screenshot the report tracker but it said the file was too large?

The issue ID is 59-093-458

Timestamp: 1023-03-06T21:38:36Z

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @Gmcqueen 

Thanks for getting back to us and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to look into. 

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gmcqueen
Binge Watcher

So, the problem with my TV persists..

I first posted/contacted support in January, '23.

I provided the on-screen information requested, but heard nothing on this.

As I have said, after factory reset everything worked fine, until the automated change to Live TV which causes everything to freeze when in Live TV.

At this point, I am thinking that another factory reset is needed, but I will not connect to wi-fi so Roku can't change my Live TV app and cause the same problems again - effectively, my "Smart" T.V. will become a dumb TV. 

Will I encounter any issues with missing updates if I only use the antenna input and a seperate dongle/streaming box for any streaming?

0 Kudos