Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwheele1

I watched my ROKU TV turned itself on and install Spotify. It even logged in.

I watched my Roku TV turn itself on, install Spotify, and login with an account I have never seen. I do not even have a Spotify account. I used the remote to turn the TV back off as it was logging into Spotify.

I can see my TCL Roku TV from my desk. I was working when suddenly the TV turned itself on. As I watched, it installed Spotify. I picked up the remote to make sure it didn't have any buttons accidentally being pressed. To my shock, Spotify launched on its own and an account name was entered in the login box. I do not even have a Spotify account and definitely did not recognize the name. I immediately turned the TV back off. I do have Alexa tied to my TCL Roku TV. But I did not issue any Alexa commands and a review of my Alexa history shows no Roku commands today. 

11 REPLIES 11
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I watched my ROKU TV turned itself on and install Spotify. It even logged in.

Do you have any Roku remote control app on your phone?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Emwise55

Re: I watched my ROKU TV turned itself on and install Spotify. It even logged in.

This keeps happening to me, have you found anything to solve this issue? 

Cooshie
Channel Surfer

WOW!!!  

Do you live in an apartment?   Could it be your neighbor is trying to log in to their tv and the signal is bleeding over to yours?  

That is the oddest thing!  I hope you will get back to us if you figure out why it happened!!!

0 Kudos
Mazgal

Mine just turned on at about 2:15am and launched Netflix. I woke up to the Netflix launch sound. I thought that was so strange because I do not have it programmed to launch any apps when turned on. 

Cooshie
Channel Surfer

Do you live in an apartment, or in houses that are very close together?   

It could be a neighbor....how nice of them to provide you with free entertainment!    The only thing is, you might be sharing your log-ins with them as well...

0 Kudos
aboysick
Streaming Star

Wow, that's freaking scary! Can't wait to hear the answer to this.

Darth
Channel Surfer

Mine too. Super annoyed. I uninstalled spotify, only to find that when I got home, my roommates phone had somehow reinstalled it and turned my tv volume up to 99. I don't want my roommates to access my Roku tv just because it's on the same wifi network. I'm going to have to buy my own separate wifi router!

0 Kudos

I have a roku tv as one of my 4k computer screens at work. Every week or so, spotify will randomly install spotify, log in to an account I've never seen before, and start playing at full volume.

I've looked at forums, help sites, anything.  Nothing works.  This is a HUGE security flaw in the Roku OS. It's also unacceptable in a work environment.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@aceofnations

Thanks for the post.

Do you have multiple Roku devices connected to your Roku account? Are you using a shared wireless network? Would you be able to provide us with the account information that is being logged into Spotify so we can further investigate?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos