Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peace2
Reel Rookie

"if my neighbor can change my roku tv channels can she seey infor like wifi password or my email

My neighbor can change my tv I got a new email and a new phone number and a new router but she changes the tv and it goes right to were you put in your wifi info it clicks right to that part on my tv CAN she see my tv if I put my info on it I have not watched my tv for about a month because I'm afraid she will get all my info agian like email wifi what do I do I have tried to talk to roku but I no can then even to chat u have to give the 5 bucks please help

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: How to disable devices from "casting" on my Roku TV

@Avrakadeaver wrote:

You don’t have to be on the same network, mine is secured af and I just had someone with a device called dart68 attempt to cast to my tv, I get prompts for this so I blocked them from all future attempts. But still I was lead to believe the person needed to be on your network in order to do so which apparently isn’t true 

First off, there is a need to distinguish between screen mirroring/screen sharing (=Miracast-based for Roku) and app-based casting (=DIAL-based in the case of Roku). 

(NOTE:  There is now AirPlay2 support for some models, which includes both mirroring and casting functionality, however, AP2 can be entirely disabled, though by default is on.)

(NOTE2:  There is no Chromecast support in Roku devices - the DIAL-based support in some apps (YT/NF) is often confused with/for Chromecast support in the Rokus when used.  Chromecast (like AirPlay) has both mirroring and casting functionality)

Casting (in-app via DIAL) requires that the devices be on the same network. (e.g. the YT app on a Samsung phone casts to the YT app on a Roku, controlling the playback)

Mirroring (Miracast) being a P2P protocol based on WiFi Direct, does not require devices be on the same network. (e.g. SmartShare on a Samsung phone mirrors the screen to a Roku, using the Roku to display the phone screen on a TV)

Note that the OP was discussing (DIAL-based) casting, though some subsequent posts were discussing (Miracast-based) mirroring, conflating/confusing the two.  Unfortunately, due to "terminology looseness", and the fact that both the Chromecast & AirPlay protocols combine mirroring and casting functionality under one "protocol brand name", this is very common. 

In your case, you weren't being cast (DIAL) to, you were being mirrored (Miracast) to - which is where the confusion arises (casting requires same network, mirroring does not).

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: "if my neighbor can change my roku tv channels can she seey infor like wifi password or my

Roku doesnt charge for support, and based upon most of the described behavior it doesnt sound like your neighbor, but rather a "Roku scam company".

Make sure you activated your TV with Roku and not one of the scam companies.  If need be you should immediately go to https://www.roku.com/ and change the email address and password for your Roku account.

However, if it is your neighbor, its possible they somehow accidentally linked their remote to your TV.  check to see if their remote is also listed under Settings/Remotes & devices/Remotes (there should only be one remote - yours - listed.  If there are two, remove the second one).

0 Kudos
KPirolli

Go into your kids youtube app, settings, and turn off "cast to big screens"

Was having the exact same issue and I just fixed it. 

sophie123

This happened to me as well. i fixed it by going into settings then advanced system settings. Then u disabled device connect and disabled network access. That seemed to disconnect my spotify from casting onto the tv 

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

The problem with disabling 'Device Connect' is that the Roku won't let you disable it if you have voice remotes paired, because it needs to be enabled in order for those to work. Once you pair a voice remote there is no way to remove it from the list. Even if you physically unpair the remote by pointing it at the Roku and holding down the home button and the button inside the battery compartment. Even though that unpairs your voice remote it is still listed in the settings and because of that 'Device Connect' can't be turned off.

The only way to remove the paired remote completely is to factory reset your Roku which is a total pain! Then you have to have a standard Roku remote to use that doesn't have to be paired in order to use your Roku. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't delete remotes from the settings and even after you physically unpair it it's still listed there!

I've ditched all of my voice remotes which are nothing but battery killers anyway and got a universal programmable streaming remote that works fine. It doesn't need to be paired to the Roku and the two triple A batteries it takes last well over a year before needing to be replaced. Now I can turn off 'Device Connect' finally!

Roku really needs to fix this issue! As they do many issues they simply keep ignoring while doing everything they can to make their product worse.

0 Kudos
Danshaw78

You have to go in the settings on her phone and make it so it won’t connect to your roku because it is working on the premise that you are sharing the same Wi-Fi exactly so it is hooking itself up through a option referred to device sharing 

0 Kudos

I'm not sure how any of this is even supposed to be possible if your TV isn't even connected to a network but lo and behold, someone attempted to cast to my TV.

0 Kudos