Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leegato
Streaming Star

Re: Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

Yeah, I'm confident this is a software issue.  To answer your earlier questions, there were a number of people mentioning other brands of TVs, including Vizio and TCL, who were also experiencing the issue, all Roku software, so I doubt it's a hardware issue or linked to a specific brand of TV.  It seems to be the same line of pixels in the same relative position of the screen as well.  This only occurs when the TV/app is actively streaming a video; once you exit the video, but stay within the app, the line disappears.  This doesn't occur at all on my PS4, or when I'm literally in any menu or any app, only just when I'm actively streaming a video in the app.  I've sent a follow up to Roku support.  I've noticed lately that the issue occurs less often now, but it still occurs on certain days and doesn't seem to go away until it goes through a power cycle.

Jump to solution

Same issue on our 43” TCL Roku TV. At first it was just YouTube, then intermittent across many apps, and now constant across all streaming apps.

Today it got worse, in that the line sometimes flashes, and in one case seemed to travel up the screen from the bottom before stopping at its usual spot. 

I’ve tried a software update and a factory reset, but it persists. I hope they patch this soon! 

0 Kudos
MikeDee808
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Try draining the power. Unplug everything including any external systems like Xbox and whatnot. Leave for 15 sec and the plug back into an empty outlet. It’ll do the trick for a while.

0 Kudos
Caleb318

Re: Weird bar across screen

Jump to solution

I have this same issue on netflix. I can switch to YouTube and it's gone. It's not on menus. Just Netflix so far.  Really annoying. 

0 Kudos
noahfloah
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

So is this a recent issue caused by an update or has always been an issue with Roku TVs? I haven’t been able to find much info about this elsewhere, so maybe it’s only a recent occurrence? Has happened 3 or 4 times now, each time having to restart the tv from the power settings for it to go away. I really don’t want to have to ship the tv back (bought online) for an issue such as this. Not a huge problem but I can definitely see this getting annoying if it keeps happening (which it does, under the current update anyway). I really hope it’s just a problem with the software and they can fix it, it’s kind of turning me off from Roku altogether. 

0 Kudos
MikeDee808
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I’ll be honest I don’t know how long it’s been going on but it’s been at least two months going by the age on the comments maybe even a little bit longer. I personally think it had to do with an update because it’s only streaming platforms on roku. Mine started doing it every once in a while and then started doing it every time a program went off and another started. I unplugged the tv and left off with nothing connected to it for 15 sec and that worked. Then it happened again 8 hrs later so I did what I believe is called a soft reset and it was just stuck there no matter what I did. So I unplugged again to do what I previously had done and it hasn’t come back since.

0 Kudos
TomatoTran

Jump to solution

Having the same issue, it appeared randomly in less than a month of use. Problem only persists while streaming!

0 Kudos
ScienceGuy

Jump to solution

I have just set up and began using my TCL Roku 43 inch TV. It immediately updated itself I am assuming to the newest version. If this is 9.3, then the issue is still there. It only happens when using streaming services and not all the time. I just need to know if this is eventually going to be a problem all the time.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same thing happens to my tv. I have a 55' tcl roku . When i use the netflix and hulu app. But when i use my cable and connect to netflix and hulu from there. It never shows up. It also doesnt show up when i uae my PS4

0 Kudos
MikeDee808
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It’s the same on mine. It never does it unless using the roku apps. But I did the power drain twice and it doesn’t do it anymore. Unplug everything including external stuff like ps4. Leave off and unplugged for 15 sec then plug back into empty socket. I had to do it twice, but it hasn’t done it since. I tried a soft reset and it wouldn’t go away at all until I did the power drain. So I don’t suggest a soft reset because it made mine worse.

0 Kudos