Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LaVo

Have Roku 2, sound and words are cutting in and out while watching movies

Jump to solution

Have a Roku 2 which is probably 5 years old or more.    In the last couple of days over week, when trying to watch Amazon movies, the words and sounds keep cutting in and out. (It does not do this when watching regular cable TV through cable networds.   I did an update on the Roku device, but it says I have the latest updates.    I  checked the cord going to TV, which was tight.    The thin cord going into an electrical outlet, seems to have some looseness up by the Roku device.     Is it possible to get a replacement cord for this older model Roku 2?.    I have an excellent quality older Sony Bravio TV, which is not listed under TVs, but gives me no problems and with a lot of USB ports.  I do not know if you can even still get a Roku 2, as I am suspecting the Roku 2 device may just be giving out.   So the question is, if the sound is cutting in and out while watching a movie on Roku, is this the first sign it is getting wore out?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Have Roku 2, sound and words are cutting in and out while watching movies

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Roku community, @LaVo!

We see you're having issues with the sound cutting in and out while watching movies on your Roku device. We're here to assist you!

In this case, there are some possible reasons why you are experiencing this issue, and one of them could be related to your internet connection. Please try the following steps to see if it makes any difference.

1. Unplug and replug the Roku Device.
  2. System restart: Go to Settings, > SystemPower, or System Restart.
  3. Restart router

Once you've done so, please let us know if the issue persists, and we'll gladly follow up.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Roku community, @LaVo!

We see you're having issues with the sound cutting in and out while watching movies on your Roku device. We're here to assist you!

In this case, there are some possible reasons why you are experiencing this issue, and one of them could be related to your internet connection. Please try the following steps to see if it makes any difference.

1. Unplug and replug the Roku Device.
  2. System restart: Go to Settings, > SystemPower, or System Restart.
  3. Restart router

Once you've done so, please let us know if the issue persists, and we'll gladly follow up.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PSJoey
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having a similar problem. My device was updated automatically at 12:01AM today, and when I began to use it, the audio was unreliable - sometimes starting after a stream begins, or dropping out periodically, or stopping completely.

I have followed the recommendations, and I have verified that the problem exists across multiple apps.

Is there any way to roll back the update?

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @PSJoey,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand that you are still experiencing issues with the audio on your Roku device. To assist you further, we would like to gather more information. Could you please provide us with the following details?

1. How are you trying to connect to your network? Is it through a wired or wireless connection?
  2. How far is your Roku device from your network router?
  3. Are you receiving error messages or codes while playing content?
  4. OS version. (this can all be found in Settings System About)

In the meantime, we recommend restarting your modem and router. Also, try unplugging the device and plugging it into a different HDMI port or TV. This may improve your ability to find channels with less traffic, enhance your router's performance speed, and clear your cache. Additionally, consider using cellular data to connect your Roku device to a hotspot to compare streaming performance.

Please let us know the outcome; we will gladly provide further assistance.

Kind regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PSJoey
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

As an IT professional I find that response very unsatisfying. You are throwing pasta against a wall to see what sticks.

But to answer your questions, I have a Roku Ultra. I have tried attaching it in both wired and wireless modes. In the wireless modes I have used both my home network and using my phone as a hotspot.

I am receiving no codes or messages.

In verifying that a hotspot via Verizon Wireless has precisely the same symptoms as both a wired and wireless connection to my home network, that makes the suggestion that I reboot my whole home network irrelevant.

Since you declined to respond to my question regarding rollback, I presume that option is not available. 

I suggest you review any known problems regarding the most recent software release.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for keeping us updated, @PSJoey!

We appreciate your efforts in resolving the issue. However, we are still gathering feedback on our new update to investigate some issues further. Our dedicated team is working hard to fix them. Please provide the following information to help us check the issue further.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.