Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PepperNixon
Channel Surfer

HDMI disconnect when TV is OFF

Jump to solution

I connect my laptop to a Roku TCL TV 32S350R using HDMI. After I turn the TV off by Power button on the remote, the laptop screen stays off - this is expected. Then, in about 10-15 minutes, without me doing anything, the laptop screen turns on by itself, as would happen if the HDMI cable were unplugged. Now, if I turn the TV back on by the remote, the laptop screen turns off, as if I've "plugged" the cable back in. But I don't touch the cable at all.

This behavior is different from the previous Roku TV I had connected to this laptop, and different from any computer monitor I've ever used. I'm pretty sure it's wrong, and it's also very annoying as the laptop starts shining in my bedroom!

I've tried another HDMI port, another cable, and updated the TV to version "13.0.0 build 24062-DD" today. The problem persists.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PepperNixon
Channel Surfer

Re: HDMI disconnect when TV is OFF

Jump to solution

Checking one of the 2 checkboxes you mentioned, under "HDMI CEC" (I don't remember which one), has fixed this problem. I don't know why Roku TV has non-standard behavior by default, but, at least, there is a checkbox to fix it - I'm so relieved I won't have to return this TV and shop again!!! Thank you!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@PepperNixon 

On the RokuTV, try disabling "Fast Start" if you have it enabled under the Power settings. (Settings/System/Power/Fast TV Start/[Off]  - this should disable the standby mode.

There are a couple of HDMI CEC settings on the RokuTV you can try experimenting with as well under Settings/System/Control other Devices.  Try different enable/disable configurations for "1-touch play" and "system standby".

A final thing you can try (if you are playing things through your laptop to the TV) is to go into the Power Management settings on the laptop and look for behavior settings. (ie. when lid is closed, etc.)  This way you can close the lid and have the content play.  This way the screen won't be visible or light up because the lid is closed.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
PepperNixon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Checking one of the 2 checkboxes you mentioned, under "HDMI CEC" (I don't remember which one), has fixed this problem. I don't know why Roku TV has non-standard behavior by default, but, at least, there is a checkbox to fix it - I'm so relieved I won't have to return this TV and shop again!!! Thank you!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.