Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephann

Display settings keep changing on its own

I have a phillips roku tv, and the picture settings have been changing by itself for about a month now. For example if I'm on a streaming service it looks fine, but then when I switch to another app, if an ad plays, or I fast forward/rewind, all of a sudden the picture gets oversharpened and bright. It's especially bad on youtube when an ad plays, the picture completely changes. I use the movie setting so the sharpness is never that high. I have to go in the settings and move the sharpness up/down 1 and it goes back to normal. I always save the settings and use *apply to all inputs* and it still changes. I've factory reset the tv and reset the picture settings and nothing has worked. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Display settings keep changing on its own

Hi! @stephann,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

If your Roku streaming player is unable to correctly detect the capabilities of your TV, you may wish to configure the display type on your own. Follow the steps below to manually change your display type setting.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Display Type
  4. Select one of the available display types and press OK on your remote.
  5. Your screen may go black for a few seconds while the display setting is changed.
  6. When an image is shown, select Yes, I can see it and press OK on your remote.
  7. Your screen will return to the Display Type menu.
  8. A check will appear next to the new display setting.

If you're encountering an issue with your Roku TV manufactured by a Roku partner, start by contacting your Roku TV manufacturer. Each TV manufacturer provides direct support for their TV models.

For Philips, please use this link for their Support: https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m/cunsumer-support

Please keep us posted on what you find out and will be more than happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jpm19063

Re: Display settings keep changing on its own

My situation is slightly different. My 4k streaming stick is installed in the CBL HDMI input of my Marantz 7.2 receiver and the monitor out connects to my 4k streaming HDMI input on my 4kUHD 75" Sony.

I had to manually set the 4k Dolby Vision resolution on the Roku which worked, I saw the picture and can watch everything,   I watch TV most often w/o the receiver on, utilizing HDMI pass-thru as I did with my cable box when I had one.

Sometimes when the I turn on the TV, the Roku stick is always powered, the Roku changes the resolution to 1080p Automatic.  I which I had the ability to lock it to Dolby Vision on the Roku or for it to ask for confirmation before it changes it so you can override it.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.