Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Factory Reset Roku TV to Remote And Internet

I am in a unique pickle.

I got a ROKU TV from a friend, and the buttons on the back don't work aside from the power and volume up buttons. It is currently at factory settings (asking me to select a language) and is not connected to the internet. 

I have a Roku Voice Remote that I bought the other day as well as an Xfinity universal remote. I cannot get either of them to pair with the TV so that I can set it up properly. 

We have tried using the Roku app, but do not know how that will help since this TV is connected to literally nothing. 

I also have considered getting an ethernet cord and adapter to give the TV wired internet through HDMI, but I don't want to spend the money if it is not going to work. 

Thanks for any advice that can be given!!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Connecting Factory Reset ROKU to Remote And Internet

Hi @samsoncart194,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand you are having difficulties connecting your Roku TV to your home network. We'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

We would recommend trying connecting to an alternate wireless network such as a mobile hotspot, once the device is getting past the language setup screen then when successful switch back to the Home network.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Hi Mary!

How would I connect my Roku TV to a mobile hotspot if I cannot navigate the on screen menu with the buttons?

The back buttons aren't functioning properly. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @samsoncart194,

Thanks for following up.

In this case, we recommend contacting your TV manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturer's contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV - Roku Community

We appreciate you again posting in Roku Community.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting Factory Reset Roku TV to Remote And Internet

The voice remote not pairing is not a good sign.  Is that why your friend got rid of it?  No wireless connection?  Not all universal remotes work with Roku TVs.  You might want to look for another cheap universal remote that specifically states it works with Roku TVs (and not just Roku streaming devices).  I don't have any experience with USB (not HDMI) Ethernet adapters and Roku TVs, but if the wireless card is dead that may be your only hope of using the TV for streaming.  Of course, if you can find a working remote you can always use it as a "dumb" TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.