RBZ
Channel Surfer

Confused About Streambar Standby

Just setting up a Streambar & confused about standby. I'm unable to use ARC/CEC as I use a Logitech Harmony remote & CEC switching confuses it. So with an optical connection for TV audio I can see no way to put the Streambar into standby. Replies to other posts imply that standby is unnecessary due to "low power consumption", but that obviously doesn't apply to the Streambar which appears to draw 30W when idle.

The red power button on the remote simply goes to the Home page.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RBZ
Channel Surfer

Re: Confused About Streambar Standby

So digging deeper, a screensaver kicks in at 10 minutes of inactivity but the power draw doesn't change. After a further 10 minutes the box appears to go into standby as the screen goes blank & the LED goes off. The power draw then dips very briefly before returning to the same level.

0 Kudos
RBZ
Channel Surfer

Digging deeper still it's obvious that Roku don't believe in supporting their products. No manual worthy of the name, no info on the web site & no response here either. Product is now back in the box to be returned to the retailer later today. 🙄

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

No Roku device has standby power command. The only one that did was the Roku 4. The power button on the Roku remote is for tv power only, either by cec, or you go into the menu and program only tv power for IR. Volume is strictly cec only. Or not use the Roku remote for volume by using optical, then the tv volume will control it. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Equally disappointed by the power management of the Streambar. I do wonder why there isn't any way for it to go into standby. Otherwise it could be a good unit. At least with the stream sticks you can plug into the TV USB port so it turns off when then TV switches off. Are we expected to pull the power plug on the Streambar every time it's not in use? It seems like power design choices to me.

0 Kudos
RBZ
Channel Surfer

@galaxy_explorer wrote:

It seems like power design choices to me.

You can only guess that it's a result of a product being designed in a county that doesn't care about power consumption due to their cheap energy costs.

As I said back in June, mine went back to the retailer & Roku joined my list of manufacturers not to buy from because they don't support their customer/product.

0 Kudos