Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nightflyer
Channel Surfer

Captions keep turning off in main settings

I’ve been watching Battlestar Galactica on Peacock. I was just watching Episode 6 and the subtitles were showing. I have them turned on via Peacock, as well as in the main “Settings” for my Roku TV. Episode 6 ended and Episode 7 began playing automatically - and the subtitles were spontaneously off.

As I said, I had captions turned on in the “Settings” of my Roku TV as of yesterday - I know this because I double checked it. Yet, today, I return to the Roku TV “Settings” page and the toggle switch for captions “always on” is turned off - without my intervention. How on earth does a toggle switch change position without me doing it myself?

This is getting to be obnoxious. It’s beyond frustrating. There’s absolutely no reason for this to be happening. I have a Chromecast attached to my Roku TV, and this NEVER happens.

It’s getting to the point where I’m going to ditch the Roku and resume using Chromecast full-time. I will be out of the Roku ecosystem forever and never purchase another Roku product. This is unacceptable. An explanation is due.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Captions keep turning off in main settings

Hello @Nightflyer

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Could you try to restart your Roku device and check if it helps? In some cases, restarting the device clears the issue they are seeing. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart

Does this resolve from changing the setting on your Roku device? If not, keep us posted with any additional information you may have. When did the issue start? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

We'll keep an eye on your response. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
porkchop

I just got a new roku device to replace an older one. The captions always on worked on my old one. On my new one I set it to always on and when I go back in it is on captions  on in replay. I have tried everything suggested in cases posted in this community. The software is up to date. I did a complete reset through settings on the roku. I have two other roku devices on my other tvs and they all work with sutitles. I feel that I have exhausted everything suggested by everybody. It is not an app issue also as I use many apps. Like I said it worked on an older device. When I put the new one on it doesn't work. We need to have this option. Please give me a solution. Thank you

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @porkchop,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the closed captioning or subtitles. We're happy to help. Please follow the steps: 

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. To open the Captions menu, select Accessibility. If accessibility is not listed, select captions.
  4. Select Captions Mode and choose when captions appear.
    • On always – captions always appear (when available from the service provider). When service providers use their own settings, closed captions are activated within their channel.

You can also check out this link: How to Enable Closed Captioning.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nightflyer
Channel Surfer

I dropped Peacock, so that’s a moot issue. The “Always on” setting has not reverted as of late, but I still have intermittent issues with the Pluto TV app. When the subtitles spontaneously turn off, I have to change the channel and then switch back to the channel I was watching to get them to restart. Very annoying.

All in all, however, the subtitle issue is not as glaring as it once was. But I suspect that has more to do with me getting rid of Peacock than with improvements on your end.

0 Kudos