Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hollina
Reel Rookie

CNN app doesn't play, just goes to a black screen

CNN app loads, but when I try to play anything it just goes to a black screen. I'm signed in with my cable provider, and I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, signing out, signing back in, rebooting the Roku, etc. All other apps work fine and the CNN app on my phone works without an issue. It's just on the Roku.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Ambris001
Reel Rookie

Re: CNN app doesn't play, just goes to a black screen

Yup - having the same issue. Can't tell you how to fix it, still working on it. But now you know your not alone I guess.  Good luck!

mek

Did you ever find an answer? 

0 Kudos
Ambris001
Reel Rookie

Yup - so I guess you have to be connected with a cable provider like Comcast or whatever, you can preview some streaming apps like CNN with Roku without having a cable provider but it only lasts for about 15 minutes or so.

0 Kudos
John-Mag
Streaming Star

I have a problem that's similar but very specific. When streaming a CNN program the first minute or two after each commercial break plays audio but no video.  

0 Kudos
Ambris001
Reel Rookie

I'm no expert, but I think it falls under the same realm of not having full access due to not being connected to a cable provider. It seems like they give you a little taste and then take it away completely or they'll take away the picture leave the sound or vice versa

0 Kudos
John-Mag
Streaming Star

No, that's not it. I have a current cable subscription that includes CNN with no linking problem.

If I fiddle with the stream a bit - stop, start, back up a couple of minutes - the picture comes back. Video drops always happen at the transition point from a commercial block back to the program. 

Ambris001
Reel Rookie

Interesting! Maybe it's a streaming issue. You probably already checked this out, but is your internet speed fast enough to keep up with pretty much the live action of cnn? Just curious what the problem could be at this point. Good luck

0 Kudos
John-Mag
Streaming Star

The show wasn't buffering, dropping to low resolution, or the other usual bandwidth issues. It continued to stream at normal clock speed with a completely blank screen.

I just tried it again. This time the first minute or so of each *commercial* block was black, again starting at the transition point from program to commercial. Each time the picture came back on its own, and program viewing was fine. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

When removing a channel, are you making sure to restart the Roku device before adding the channel back again, specifically in that order?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos